9/25/18 Flint, MI – 12 Year Old With Disorders Locks Himself In Father’s Car – Police Respond To Home – Child Jumps Into Flint Police Car And Steals It – Chase At 83 MPH – Boxed In – Many Flint And Genesee Patrol Cars Damaged
September 25, 2018
A 12-year-old jumped in a Flint police cruiser and took off on Tuesday, leading police on a chase on the city’s north side.
Flint police Chief Tim Johnson said officers were called to 3302 Milbourne Ave. for a father who was having trouble with his 12-year-old son.
Officers responded at about 8:15 a.m. on Sept. 25 and the child had locked himself inside his father’s vehicle, Johnson said.
The child may have been having some sort of mental or psychological issues, the chief said.
When the officer was talking to the father, the child jumped into the Flint police cruiser and took off, according to Johnson.
The chase ended about a mile away when another Flint police cruiser and a Genesee County Sheriff’s Office cruiser were used to box the child in at Sonny Avenue and Clio Road.
The fleeing child collided with the other two cruisers before he was eventually taken into custody.
“Nobody was hurt,” Johnson said. “I think the cruiser sustained minor damage.”
There was visible damage was to the front hood and bumper areas of the three police vehicles involved.
Johnson said he did not know how fast the child driving.
“It had to be a slow chase, I would imagine,” Johnson said, “especially with the damage being minimal to the cruisers.”
Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell later said his deputies involved in the chase reached speeds as high as 83 mph, but said the crash occurred at low speeds as the kid was turning around.
The 12-year-old also ran over a large orange traffic barrel just before stopping.
Dwight Richardson was reading his bible as he readied to open Afro Knot barber shop, 3610 Clio Road, just before 8 a.m.
He said all of a sudden there were dozens of police vehicles driving fast in both directions on Clio Road.
“I said ‘what in the heck is going on? They’re chasing the cop car,” Richardson said. “They rammed the vehicle. Then they pulled the person out the window. They lucky they didn’t shoot the person.”
Richardson said he never saw police draw their weapons and commended the swift action of the officers.
Clio Road was closed for more than an hour during the investigation.
- 06/17/19 Tyndall, SD – Two Vehicle Accident – Four Passengers Given Comfort Sitting In Patrol Car – The Four Stole The Tyndall Patrol Car – Long 40 Mile Pursuit – 100 MPH According To Bon Homme Sheriff’s Office – Patrol Car Ran Out Of Gas – One Woman Captured – Three Escaped
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured
- 05/30/19 Kosciusko County, IN – 16 Year Old Runaway That Removed Her Ankle Bracelet After Crashing A Hyundai – In Handcuffs – Steals Sheriff’s Patrol Vehicle – Crashes Into Building – Breaks Into House – Multiple Charges – Meth Arrest
- 05/28/19 Sour Lake, TX – Man In Convenience Store Severely Beat To Critical Condition A Sour Lake Police Officer – He Stole His Police Car And It Was Found Abandoned On The Highway – Massive Search And Captured
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car