9/25/18 Flint, MI – 12 Year Old With Disorders Locks Himself In Father’s Car – Police Respond To Home – Child Jumps Into Flint Police Car And Steals It – Chase At 83 MPH – Boxed In – Many Flint And Genesee Patrol Cars Damaged
September 25, 2018
A 12-year-old jumped in a Flint police cruiser and took off on Tuesday, leading police on a chase on the city’s north side.
Flint police Chief Tim Johnson said officers were called to 3302 Milbourne Ave. for a father who was having trouble with his 12-year-old son.
Officers responded at about 8:15 a.m. on Sept. 25 and the child had locked himself inside his father’s vehicle, Johnson said.
The child may have been having some sort of mental or psychological issues, the chief said.
When the officer was talking to the father, the child jumped into the Flint police cruiser and took off, according to Johnson.
The chase ended about a mile away when another Flint police cruiser and a Genesee County Sheriff’s Office cruiser were used to box the child in at Sonny Avenue and Clio Road.
The fleeing child collided with the other two cruisers before he was eventually taken into custody.
“Nobody was hurt,” Johnson said. “I think the cruiser sustained minor damage.”
There was visible damage was to the front hood and bumper areas of the three police vehicles involved.
Johnson said he did not know how fast the child driving.
“It had to be a slow chase, I would imagine,” Johnson said, “especially with the damage being minimal to the cruisers.”
Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell later said his deputies involved in the chase reached speeds as high as 83 mph, but said the crash occurred at low speeds as the kid was turning around.
The 12-year-old also ran over a large orange traffic barrel just before stopping.
Dwight Richardson was reading his bible as he readied to open Afro Knot barber shop, 3610 Clio Road, just before 8 a.m.
He said all of a sudden there were dozens of police vehicles driving fast in both directions on Clio Road.
“I said ‘what in the heck is going on? They’re chasing the cop car,” Richardson said. “They rammed the vehicle. Then they pulled the person out the window. They lucky they didn’t shoot the person.”
Richardson said he never saw police draw their weapons and commended the swift action of the officers.
Clio Road was closed for more than an hour during the investigation.
- 04/9/19 Oakdale, MN – Man Assaults Girlfriend With Motor Vehicle – Steals Marked Patrol Car – 75 MPH – Dangerous – Taunting On The Police Radio – Pit Maneuver Stop – Suicide By Cop Gestures With Cell Phone – Captured
- 04/5/19 Nashville, TN – Female Burglary Suspect Steals Metro Police Cruiser – Chase – Spike Strips – Damage
- 04/3/19 Albany, GA – Cordele Police Unmarked Explorer Stolen From Albany – BOLO – Has Lights And Sirens – No Weapons
- 04/2/19 Utica, MI – High Speed Chase Through Multiple Cities – Two Suspects Bail Out Of Vehicle – Police Run After Them On Foot – Third Suspect Bails Out Of Vehicle And Steals Sterling Heights Police Cruiser – Crash – Three Arrests
- 03/29/19 Harden County, TN – Inmate On Way To Methadone Clinic Slipped Out Of Her Handcuffs – Grabbed The Patrol Car Keys – Stole The Patrol Car – The Officer Was Dragged And Injured – Inmate Later Captured
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/14/19 Louisville, KY – Three Juveniles Stole a Louisville Metro PD Unmarked Police Car – AR15 And Remington Shotgun Taken Out Of Stolen Vehicle – An Adult Also Arrested