9/15/18 Cherokee County, SC – Suspicious Person Call At Mary Black Gaffney Hospital – Woman Steals Cherokee Deputy’s Patrol Car – Pursuit – Spike Strips – Crashes Into Spartanburg Deputy’s Car – Injured Woman
September 15, 2018
A call about a suspicious person at an Upstate hospital led to the theft of a patrol car, a two-county pursuit, a crash and the arrest of a 54-year-old woman, according to Cherokee County Sheriff Steve Mueller.
Mueller said a deputy was called just after 6:30 a.m. Saturday to Mary Black Gaffney Hospital about a suspicious person. When the deputy went into the emergency room waiting area to speak with the person, a woman jumped into the deputy’s patrol car and drove away, Mueller said.
A Gaffney police officer saw the patrol car on U.S. Highway 29 moments after it was reported stolen. As the officer pursued the stolen car, it crashed into another vehicle and kept going, Mueller said.
The chase continued through Spartanburg County and into Union County on U.S. Highway 176, where police used spike strips, causing the patrol car to crash into a Spartanburg County deputy’s car, Mueller said.
The suspect, later identified as Kim Marie Dye, of Gaffney, was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries, Mueller said. He said no deputies were injured in the chase or crash.
Mueller said the South Carolina Highway Patrol is also investigating the crash, and multiple charges from several agencies are expected.
- 02/17/19 Chapmanville, WV – DUI Suspect In Handcuffs Steals Police Cruiser – Hits 3 Civilian Vehicles And A Second Police Cruiser – Arrested
- 02/15/19 Rochelle Park, NJ – Burglary Suspect Caught By Residents On Second Floor – Jumps From Roof To Get Away – Jumps Into Police Car When He Thought It Was The Lyft That He Called – Arrested For Attempted Theft
- 02/10/19 Colorado Springs, CO – Suspicious Person Call – Man Jumps Into Marked Cruiser – High Speed – Rolls Marked Cruiser Several Times – Shutdown Highway For Hours
- 02/8/19 Columbus, OH – Overdose Call – Police Revive Man With Narcan – He Was Given CPR By Bystanders First – He Jumps In And Steals Their Police Cruiser – Escaped – Abandoned Cruiser
- 02/8/19 Turlock, CA – Parolee Enters Secure Area Of Police Station – Is Found Attempting To Steal Patrol Car – Captured
- 02/7/19 Chattanooga, TN – Man Fights With Police Officer – Steals Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Gets Stuck In Mud – Police Had To Break Window – Handgun And Meth Found On Him
- 02/5/19 Corpus Christi, TX – Lengthy Pursuit – In Custody Suspect Steals Patrol Car – Slams Into Innocent Woman’s Vehicle with Three Juveniles – Five Taken To Hospital
- 02/4/19 Asheboro, NC – Randolph County Sheriff’s Officer Had A Family Member Steal A Patrol Car From The Home Of The Assigned Member – The Sheriff’s Officer Member Was Away At The Time – Totaled Patrol Car – 17 Year Old Arrested
- 02/3/19 Detroit, MI – Marked Dodge Charger Stolen While Officer Left It Running – Suspect Arrested Under The Influence
- 02/1/19 Kansas City, KS – Traffic Stop – Suspect Steals Marked Police Cruiser – Pursuit – Crash Into Ravine – Suspect Escapes – Tries To Climb In Taco Bell Drive Up Window – Arrested