12/31/18 Elba, NE – New Years Eve – Howard County Sheriff’s Deputy Traffic Stop – Exchanges Gun Fire – Man Steals Deputy’s Patrol Car – 2nd Shootout – Nebraska State Patrol – Multiple Agencies Involved – Spunout – Escaped And Captured
December 31, 2018
Law officers from multiple agencies converged in rural Nebraska on Monday after a man exchanged gunfire twice with officers and escaped from a traffic stop by stealing a sheriff’s vehicle.
The man eventually was caught — wounded and suffering from hypothermia — through the use of a helicopter, light armored vehicle and police dog.
The incident began in the evening hours of New Year’s Eve, according to Cody Thomas, a spokesman for the Nebraska State Patrol. It occurred about 40 miles north of Grand Island.
A Howard County sheriff’s deputy was attempting a traffic stop north of the small town of Elba when the driver began firing at him. During the exchange of gunfire, the man gained access to the deputy’s vehicle — and the deputy’s shotgun.
The man spun out the cruiser and exchanged gunfire a second time before running away.
At that point, troopers from the Nebraska State Patrol; sheriff’s deputies from Howard County, Merrick County, Valley County and Sherman County; and St. Paul and Scotia police officers, among others, arrived and set up a perimeter. A patrol SWAT unit was called in, and the patrol’s helicopter was deployed.
Elba Fire and Rescue and St. Paul Rescue also assisted.
While the helicopter searched from above, the SWAT team began searching the area in a light armored vehicle. Once they found the man in a creek bed, a State Patrol dog was used to help subdue him.
The shotgun was found at the scene. The suspect, a 30-year-old from Broken Bow, had a gunshot wound to his left forearm and was showing signs of hypothermia.
He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and then flown to St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln. No updated information was immediately available on his condition.
No officers were injured. The State Patrol is leading the investigation. Charges are pending.
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/13/19 Eugene, OR – Police Officer Stopped Two Suspicious Men – One Man Ran Away – Officer Foot Chase – Second Man Steals His Patrol Car – Second Officer Fires His Weapon At Man In Stolen Patrol Car – Patrol Car Found Abandoned
- 03/13/19 Heavener, OK – Man Escapes From Jail In Missouri – Kidnaps Woman In Oklahoma – Police Catch Man Sleeping In Kidnapped Victim’s Vehicle – Man Steals Patrol Car In Handcuffs – May Have Hit Moving Train And Crashed – Escaped – Manhunt
- 03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
- 03/7/19 Forest Park, OH – 20 Year Old Woman In Lobby Of Police Station – Steals Running Patrol Car – She Is Chased Into Kentucky And Indiana – Spike Strips – Ran Into Ditch
- 03/6/19 Buffalo, NY – Police SUV Stolen From Officer – Hit Another Vehicle – One Person Injured – Hit House
- 03/3/19 San Luis Obispo County, CA – CHP Assists Disabled Pick Up With Small Children Inside – Man Steals CHP Patrol Car – SLO Deputies Assisted – Chase – Flattened Tires – Further Investigation Reveals Woman Found Murdered – Under Investigation – SLO Deputies Disarmed – Bean Bag Took Him Down – Arrested