12/31/18 Elba, NE – New Years Eve – Howard County Sheriff’s Deputy Traffic Stop – Exchanges Gun Fire – Man Steals Deputy’s Patrol Car – 2nd Shootout – Nebraska State Patrol – Multiple Agencies Involved – Spunout – Escaped And Captured
December 31, 2018
Law officers from multiple agencies converged in rural Nebraska on Monday after a man exchanged gunfire twice with officers and escaped from a traffic stop by stealing a sheriff’s vehicle.
The man eventually was caught — wounded and suffering from hypothermia — through the use of a helicopter, light armored vehicle and police dog.
The incident began in the evening hours of New Year’s Eve, according to Cody Thomas, a spokesman for the Nebraska State Patrol. It occurred about 40 miles north of Grand Island.
A Howard County sheriff’s deputy was attempting a traffic stop north of the small town of Elba when the driver began firing at him. During the exchange of gunfire, the man gained access to the deputy’s vehicle — and the deputy’s shotgun.
The man spun out the cruiser and exchanged gunfire a second time before running away.
At that point, troopers from the Nebraska State Patrol; sheriff’s deputies from Howard County, Merrick County, Valley County and Sherman County; and St. Paul and Scotia police officers, among others, arrived and set up a perimeter. A patrol SWAT unit was called in, and the patrol’s helicopter was deployed.
Elba Fire and Rescue and St. Paul Rescue also assisted.
While the helicopter searched from above, the SWAT team began searching the area in a light armored vehicle. Once they found the man in a creek bed, a State Patrol dog was used to help subdue him.
The shotgun was found at the scene. The suspect, a 30-year-old from Broken Bow, had a gunshot wound to his left forearm and was showing signs of hypothermia.
He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and then flown to St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln. No updated information was immediately available on his condition.
No officers were injured. The State Patrol is leading the investigation. Charges are pending.
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested