12/31/18 Elba, NE – New Years Eve – Howard County Sheriff’s Deputy Traffic Stop – Exchanges Gun Fire – Man Steals Deputy’s Patrol Car – 2nd Shootout – Nebraska State Patrol – Multiple Agencies Involved – Spunout – Escaped And Captured
December 31, 2018
Law officers from multiple agencies converged in rural Nebraska on Monday after a man exchanged gunfire twice with officers and escaped from a traffic stop by stealing a sheriff’s vehicle.
The man eventually was caught — wounded and suffering from hypothermia — through the use of a helicopter, light armored vehicle and police dog.
The incident began in the evening hours of New Year’s Eve, according to Cody Thomas, a spokesman for the Nebraska State Patrol. It occurred about 40 miles north of Grand Island.
A Howard County sheriff’s deputy was attempting a traffic stop north of the small town of Elba when the driver began firing at him. During the exchange of gunfire, the man gained access to the deputy’s vehicle — and the deputy’s shotgun.
The man spun out the cruiser and exchanged gunfire a second time before running away.
At that point, troopers from the Nebraska State Patrol; sheriff’s deputies from Howard County, Merrick County, Valley County and Sherman County; and St. Paul and Scotia police officers, among others, arrived and set up a perimeter. A patrol SWAT unit was called in, and the patrol’s helicopter was deployed.
Elba Fire and Rescue and St. Paul Rescue also assisted.
While the helicopter searched from above, the SWAT team began searching the area in a light armored vehicle. Once they found the man in a creek bed, a State Patrol dog was used to help subdue him.
The shotgun was found at the scene. The suspect, a 30-year-old from Broken Bow, had a gunshot wound to his left forearm and was showing signs of hypothermia.
He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and then flown to St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln. No updated information was immediately available on his condition.
No officers were injured. The State Patrol is leading the investigation. Charges are pending.
- 07/13/19 Rochester, PA – Handcuffed Woman That Is Wanted In Texas For Robbery Steals Patrol Car After Punching And Kicking Police Officer – Captured Later After Chase
- 07/11/19 Jacksonville, NC – Armed Suicidal Man In Foot Chase Doubled Back And Stole A Jacksonville K9 Vehicle While K9 Was Looking For Him – 3 County High Speed Pursuit – Man Was Convinced Over The Police Radio To Surrender
- 07/5/19 Ferndale, MI – 24 Year Old Woman Steals Ferndale Police Car – Chase And Crash In Detroit – After Capture – She Says “She Just Wanted To Have Some Fun” – Officers Believe Mental Illness
- 07/3/19 Bullitt County, KY – Handcuffed Man With Multiple Warrants Steals Bullitt County Sheriff’s Car – Multiple State And Local Agencies Pursuit – Man Bails Out At Fairgrounds – Later Captured With Meth
- 06/29/19 El Dorado, AR – Shots Fired Call – Parole Suspect On Foot Chase Steals Patrol Car – Chase – Suspect Crashes Into Second Patrol Car – Officer Injuries – Break Into Home – Arrested
- 06/27/19 Winnipeg, CAN. – Marked Police Cruiser Stolen At Gas Station While Officers Were Apprehending Suspects – Winnipeg Police And RCMP Chase – Arrest On Highway
- 06/24/19 Nashua, NH – Traffic Stop – Man Not Involved Jumped Into Nashua Police Cruiser – Steals Police Cruiser While Officer Fights With Him – Crashes Into Fence And Porch – Bites Officer – Then Hits Park Bench
- 06/22/19 Surry RCMP, CAN. – Erratic Driver Stop – One Suspect Steals RCMP SUV – Patrol Car Crashed Into Train Station Fencing – Escaped
- 06/17/19 Tyndall, SD – Two Vehicle Accident – Four Passengers Given Comfort Sitting In Patrol Car – The Four Stole The Tyndall Patrol Car – Long 40 Mile Pursuit – 100 MPH According To Bon Homme Sheriff’s Office – Patrol Car Ran Out Of Gas – One Woman Captured – Three Escaped
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured