12/29/18 Lodi, CA – Traffic Stop – Suspect Had A Loaded AR15 – Foot Chase – Fight With Officers – Escaped And Stole Lodi Patrol Car – Lights And Sirens Used – Patrol Car Found Abandoned And Crashed
December 29, 2018
A Friday night traffic stop took a strange turn for the Lodi Police Department, when an officer’s vehicle was temporarily stolen as he pursued a suspect on foot.
When a Lodi police officer attempted to stop a vehicle in the area of East Pine Street and South Main Street at approximately 11:30 p.m. Friday, the vehicle initially failed to yield and pulled into a nearby alley, according to Sgt. Steve Maynard.
The driver, 35-year-old Joshua Sequeira of Lodi, fled the vehicle on foot and the officer left his patrol vehicle unattended as he gave chase before other officers responded to assist and located him nearby, Maynard said.
While Sequeira fought with officers before being taken into custody, 33-year-old Brian Joachim of Lodi reportedly jumped into the unattended patrol vehicle and drove by the officers, yelling at them before speeding away, police reported.
“He’s one of our frequent flyers,” Maynard said of Joachim.
Officers found the patrol vehicle unoccupied in the area of East Pine Street and Beckman Road, having crashed into a Caltrans fence pole, and located Joachim nearby before taking him into custody.
Officers said they found a loaded AR-15 rifle and an extended magazine in Sequeira’s vehicle, and arrested him on suspicion of multiple weapons violations and resisting arrest.
Joachim was arrested on suspicion of vehicle theft, resisting arrest and evading.
This is not the first time a Lodi police officer’s vehicle has been stolen, Maynard said, but a GPS system installed in each car allows the department to track their locations.
“We know where (a vehicle) is at all times, and then everyone gets involved in trying to recover it,” he said.
Although officers take every precaution they can to prevent their vehicles from being stole, Maynard said the split-second decisions required when responding to emergencies such as Friday night’s traffic stop can make it difficult for officers to predict how a suspect might act.
“In a situation like that where they guy jumps out and runs and he has a loaded assault rifle in his car, we don’t know if he’s going to get back in and start shooting,” he said. “You take every precaution you can, but you can’t always cover everything that might happen.”
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/13/19 Eugene, OR – Police Officer Stopped Two Suspicious Men – One Man Ran Away – Officer Foot Chase – Second Man Steals His Patrol Car – Second Officer Fires His Weapon At Man In Stolen Patrol Car – Patrol Car Found Abandoned
- 03/13/19 Heavener, OK – Man Escapes From Jail In Missouri – Kidnaps Woman In Oklahoma – Police Catch Man Sleeping In Kidnapped Victim’s Vehicle – Man Steals Patrol Car In Handcuffs – May Have Hit Moving Train And Crashed – Escaped – Manhunt
- 03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
- 03/7/19 Forest Park, OH – 20 Year Old Woman In Lobby Of Police Station – Steals Running Patrol Car – She Is Chased Into Kentucky And Indiana – Spike Strips – Ran Into Ditch
- 03/6/19 Buffalo, NY – Police SUV Stolen From Officer – Hit Another Vehicle – One Person Injured – Hit House
- 03/3/19 San Luis Obispo County, CA – CHP Assists Disabled Pick Up With Small Children Inside – Man Steals CHP Patrol Car – SLO Deputies Assisted – Chase – Flattened Tires – Further Investigation Reveals Woman Found Murdered – Under Investigation – SLO Deputies Disarmed – Bean Bag Took Him Down – Arrested