12/29/18 Lodi, CA – Traffic Stop – Suspect Had A Loaded AR15 – Foot Chase – Fight With Officers – Escaped And Stole Lodi Patrol Car – Lights And Sirens Used – Patrol Car Found Abandoned And Crashed
December 29, 2018
A Friday night traffic stop took a strange turn for the Lodi Police Department, when an officer’s vehicle was temporarily stolen as he pursued a suspect on foot.
When a Lodi police officer attempted to stop a vehicle in the area of East Pine Street and South Main Street at approximately 11:30 p.m. Friday, the vehicle initially failed to yield and pulled into a nearby alley, according to Sgt. Steve Maynard.
The driver, 35-year-old Joshua Sequeira of Lodi, fled the vehicle on foot and the officer left his patrol vehicle unattended as he gave chase before other officers responded to assist and located him nearby, Maynard said.
While Sequeira fought with officers before being taken into custody, 33-year-old Brian Joachim of Lodi reportedly jumped into the unattended patrol vehicle and drove by the officers, yelling at them before speeding away, police reported.
“He’s one of our frequent flyers,” Maynard said of Joachim.
Officers found the patrol vehicle unoccupied in the area of East Pine Street and Beckman Road, having crashed into a Caltrans fence pole, and located Joachim nearby before taking him into custody.
Officers said they found a loaded AR-15 rifle and an extended magazine in Sequeira’s vehicle, and arrested him on suspicion of multiple weapons violations and resisting arrest.
Joachim was arrested on suspicion of vehicle theft, resisting arrest and evading.
This is not the first time a Lodi police officer’s vehicle has been stolen, Maynard said, but a GPS system installed in each car allows the department to track their locations.
“We know where (a vehicle) is at all times, and then everyone gets involved in trying to recover it,” he said.
Although officers take every precaution they can to prevent their vehicles from being stole, Maynard said the split-second decisions required when responding to emergencies such as Friday night’s traffic stop can make it difficult for officers to predict how a suspect might act.
“In a situation like that where they guy jumps out and runs and he has a loaded assault rifle in his car, we don’t know if he’s going to get back in and start shooting,” he said. “You take every precaution you can, but you can’t always cover everything that might happen.”
- 01/19/19 Eureka, CA – Homeless Man Just Released From Jail Jumps Into Police Car To Steal It – Eureka Police Officer Pulls Him Out Of The Patrol Car – The Suspect Got The Shifter Into Neutral – While The Suspect Was Being Arrested The Patrol Car Rolled Over His Legs – Injured – To Hospital
- 01/19/19 Canton, OH – Man On Parole Steals On-Duty Marked Patrol Car By Smashing Window When Stopped – Identified Himself As A Police Officer – Had The Police Officer’s Identification – Struggle – Arrested
- 01/16/19 Atlanta, GA – Man Tries To Steal Atlanta Police Unmarked Police Car At Gas Station While Officer Was Filling Up – Mayor Protection Unit – Officer SHOOTS AND KILLS HIM
- 01/14/19 Elkton, MD – Crash Scene – Drunk Driver In Handcuffs Steals Police Car And Hits Fire Truck – Police Chase Into Delaware – Crashed Into Tree – Arrested Again
- 01/08/19 Spencer, OK Handcuffed man steals spencer Police Cruiser and drives away – Escaped
- 01/6/19 Morrow County, OH – Crashed Stolen Pick Up – Distressed Woman In Underwear Runs Away And Back – Steals Morrow Deputy’s Patrol Car – Chase – Crash Into Tree – Apprehended
- 01/06/19 Carrol County, SC Two inmates escape a work detail in a government stolen car found in Patrick County SC. Inmates on the run escaped.
- 01/3/19 Conroe, TX – Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Is Searching For A Stolen Prairie View Unmarked Tahoe Police Vehicle
- 01/2/19 Orangeburg, SC – St. Matthews Man In Orangeburg Stopped Driving Stolen Columbia Airport Metro Police Department Vehicle – When Deputies Searched The Vehicle They Found White Powder – 9 mm Firearm – Digital Scales
- 1/1/19 Grand Rapids, MI – Early New Years Day – Call For A Fight With A Person With A Gun – A Woman Ran From The House And Stole A Grand Rapids Patrol Car – Drove Over Sidewalks – Ran Away – K9 Got Her