12/28/18 High Point, NC – Walmart Shoplifter Handcuffed And Placed Into Patrol Car – Man Gets Through Cage – Steals Patrol Car – Chase To Greensboro By Highway Patrol – Greensboro PD – Guilford County Deputies – Boxed In Stop
December 28, 2018
New details emerged Friday morning in the arrest of a suspect who police say stole a High Point police car and led law enforcement on a chase.
At approximately 6:40 p.m. on Thursday High Point police responded to Walmart Supercenter at 2628 S. Main St. after receiving a call about a man inside the store concealing merchandise and preparing to leave the store without paying.
According to a press release from the High Point police, a Walmart loss prevention worker approached and detained the suspect, Abraham G. Burns, 38, of Trinity.
Upon arrival, officers learned that Burns had gotten into a physical confrontation with the Walmart worker before being detained. When High Point officers arrived Burns attempted to flee from them as well.
Burns was handcuffed by officers and placed in a seated position in the rear of a marked police vehicle.
While officers were completing other tasks related to the investigation which included retrieving stolen merchandise from the vehicle Burns was driving when he arrived at Walmart, Burns was able to move the handcuffs from behind his back to the front of his body.
Burns then managed to unsecure the shield that separates the front cabin of the vehicle from the rear transport area and climbed into the driver’s seat of the police vehicle and drove away from the parking lot in the police vehicle.
Police began pursuing the police vehicle through High Point into Greensboro on Interstate 40 East ending at the Alamance County line at exit 138.
During the pursuit, a Greensboro Police Department officer deployed a tire deflation device (stop sticks). High Point police also received assistance from the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and Guilford County Sheriff’s Office. Assisting units boxed the stolen vehicle in which ended the pursuit and Burns was apprehended.
High Point police officers assumed custody of Burns and took him back to High Point where he will face several charges including but not limited to misdemeanors related to the original larceny incident at Walmart to felonies related to the motor vehicle theft and pursuit.
As of Friday morning, Burns remained in the custody of the High Point Police Department at High Point Regional Hospital where he is under medical evaluation. The hospital listed him in critical condition.
- 01/19/19 Eureka, CA – Homeless Man Just Released From Jail Jumps Into Police Car To Steal It – Eureka Police Officer Pulls Him Out Of The Patrol Car – The Suspect Got The Shifter Into Neutral – While The Suspect Was Being Arrested The Patrol Car Rolled Over His Legs – Injured – To Hospital
- 01/19/19 Canton, OH – Man On Parole Steals On-Duty Marked Patrol Car By Smashing Window When Stopped – Identified Himself As A Police Officer – Had The Police Officer’s Identification – Struggle – Arrested
- 01/16/19 Atlanta, GA – Man Tries To Steal Atlanta Police Unmarked Police Car At Gas Station While Officer Was Filling Up – Mayor Protection Unit – Officer SHOOTS AND KILLS HIM
- 01/14/19 Elkton, MD – Crash Scene – Drunk Driver In Handcuffs Steals Police Car And Hits Fire Truck – Police Chase Into Delaware – Crashed Into Tree – Arrested Again
- 01/08/19 Spencer, OK Handcuffed man steals spencer Police Cruiser and drives away – Escaped
- 01/6/19 Morrow County, OH – Crashed Stolen Pick Up – Distressed Woman In Underwear Runs Away And Back – Steals Morrow Deputy’s Patrol Car – Chase – Crash Into Tree – Apprehended
- 01/06/19 Carrol County, SC Two inmates escape a work detail in a government stolen car found in Patrick County SC. Inmates on the run escaped.
- 01/3/19 Conroe, TX – Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Is Searching For A Stolen Prairie View Unmarked Tahoe Police Vehicle
- 01/2/19 Orangeburg, SC – St. Matthews Man In Orangeburg Stopped Driving Stolen Columbia Airport Metro Police Department Vehicle – When Deputies Searched The Vehicle They Found White Powder – 9 mm Firearm – Digital Scales
- 1/1/19 Grand Rapids, MI – Early New Years Day – Call For A Fight With A Person With A Gun – A Woman Ran From The House And Stole A Grand Rapids Patrol Car – Drove Over Sidewalks – Ran Away – K9 Got Her