12/28/18 High Point, NC – Walmart Shoplifter Handcuffed And Placed Into Patrol Car – Man Gets Through Cage – Steals Patrol Car – Chase To Greensboro By Highway Patrol – Greensboro PD – Guilford County Deputies – Boxed In Stop
December 28, 2018
New details emerged Friday morning in the arrest of a suspect who police say stole a High Point police car and led law enforcement on a chase.
At approximately 6:40 p.m. on Thursday High Point police responded to Walmart Supercenter at 2628 S. Main St. after receiving a call about a man inside the store concealing merchandise and preparing to leave the store without paying.
According to a press release from the High Point police, a Walmart loss prevention worker approached and detained the suspect, Abraham G. Burns, 38, of Trinity.
Upon arrival, officers learned that Burns had gotten into a physical confrontation with the Walmart worker before being detained. When High Point officers arrived Burns attempted to flee from them as well.
Burns was handcuffed by officers and placed in a seated position in the rear of a marked police vehicle.
While officers were completing other tasks related to the investigation which included retrieving stolen merchandise from the vehicle Burns was driving when he arrived at Walmart, Burns was able to move the handcuffs from behind his back to the front of his body.
Burns then managed to unsecure the shield that separates the front cabin of the vehicle from the rear transport area and climbed into the driver’s seat of the police vehicle and drove away from the parking lot in the police vehicle.
Police began pursuing the police vehicle through High Point into Greensboro on Interstate 40 East ending at the Alamance County line at exit 138.
During the pursuit, a Greensboro Police Department officer deployed a tire deflation device (stop sticks). High Point police also received assistance from the North Carolina State Highway Patrol and Guilford County Sheriff’s Office. Assisting units boxed the stolen vehicle in which ended the pursuit and Burns was apprehended.
High Point police officers assumed custody of Burns and took him back to High Point where he will face several charges including but not limited to misdemeanors related to the original larceny incident at Walmart to felonies related to the motor vehicle theft and pursuit.
As of Friday morning, Burns remained in the custody of the High Point Police Department at High Point Regional Hospital where he is under medical evaluation. The hospital listed him in critical condition.
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/13/19 Eugene, OR – Police Officer Stopped Two Suspicious Men – One Man Ran Away – Officer Foot Chase – Second Man Steals His Patrol Car – Second Officer Fires His Weapon At Man In Stolen Patrol Car – Patrol Car Found Abandoned
- 03/13/19 Heavener, OK – Man Escapes From Jail In Missouri – Kidnaps Woman In Oklahoma – Police Catch Man Sleeping In Kidnapped Victim’s Vehicle – Man Steals Patrol Car In Handcuffs – May Have Hit Moving Train And Crashed – Escaped – Manhunt
- 03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
- 03/7/19 Forest Park, OH – 20 Year Old Woman In Lobby Of Police Station – Steals Running Patrol Car – She Is Chased Into Kentucky And Indiana – Spike Strips – Ran Into Ditch
- 03/6/19 Buffalo, NY – Police SUV Stolen From Officer – Hit Another Vehicle – One Person Injured – Hit House
- 03/3/19 San Luis Obispo County, CA – CHP Assists Disabled Pick Up With Small Children Inside – Man Steals CHP Patrol Car – SLO Deputies Assisted – Chase – Flattened Tires – Further Investigation Reveals Woman Found Murdered – Under Investigation – SLO Deputies Disarmed – Bean Bag Took Him Down – Arrested