12/14/18 San Diego, CA – Man Steals City Park Ranger’s Truck – Chased On Freeway With Siren Blazing – Got Off Freeway – Ditched The Truck And Ran – Captured In Canyon Barefoot
December 14, 2018
A man stole a San Diego park ranger’s work truck Thursday morning near Balboa Park and led police on a high-speed pursuit through streets surrounding Mission Hills.
The San Diego Police Department (SDPD) said the city worker reported that his work truck – a white Ford Ranger – had been stolen just before 7:30 a.m. at Village Place and Park Boulevard near Balboa Park.
At around 7:35 a.m., police spotted the truck in traffic on northbound State Route 163, heading toward the Quince Street exit. Sirens blazing, police began pursuing the truck as the driver got off the freeway and fled onto city streets at speeds in excess of 60 mph.
The suspect drove west through Mission Hills. He stopped the truck at Ibis Street and West University Avenue, got out and started running. Police gave chase and quickly captured the suspect in a canyon near the 4100-block of Hawk Street, the SDPD said.
The man was arrested and loaded into the back of a police car.
Witness Madeline Crisci was home when she noticed the pursuit coming to an end in her neighborhood. She said officers were swift in taking the suspect into custody without further trouble. No one was hurt during the pursuit.
“They were really nice to him, you know? He didn’t even have shoes or socks on; he was barefooted,” Crisci told NBC 7. “Isn’t that weird?”
Inside the stolen truck, a pair of flip-flops was scattered on the seat. The crust of a sandwich was left near the sandals.
The park ranger who had his truck stolen told NBC 7 the only thing the suspect took from inside the vehicle was a sandwich he had packed himself for lunch.
At this point, it is unclear how the man was able to steal the city truck. The suspect’s name was not immediately released by police.
- 08/15/19 St. John’s County, FL – Wanted Felon In Accident – Combative – Steals Off Duty Lt. Unmarked – High Speed Chase – Pit Maneuver – Multiple Police Vehicles Crashed
- 08/15/19 Durham, CAN – 40 Year Old Man Chase In A Van – Foot Chase – Pushes Officer Into A Ditch And Tries To Steal His Marked Patrol Car – Captured
- 08/14/19 Milford, DE – 3 Juveniles Arrested After Stealing 5 Dodge Charger Police Cars – 2 Durangos And A Dodge Ram – State Police Pursuit Of Police Charger That Crashed Into A Tree – All 3 Arrested
- 08/13/19 Montebello, CA – Patrol Car Stolen From Police Station Found 1 Month Later – Totaled Over Embankment – Stolen Weapons – Police Equipment – 3 Arrested Had Weapons And Equipment
- 08/12/19 Coral Gables, FL – Police Cruiser Stolen From Officer’s Home – Rear Window Smashed – Abandoned
- 08/9/19 Charleston, WV – Man Harassing People In Emergency Room – Handcuffed And Placed Into Police Cruiser – Jumps Into Driver’s Seat And Tries To Steal It – Fights With Officers – Officers Saved The Vehicle
- 08/6/19 Montgomery County, OH – Passed Out Man In Pick Up Call – Man Steals Deputy’s Marked Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Crashed Into Vehicles – Spike Strips – Captured
- 08/5/19 California – Marked CHP SUV Stolen After Foot Chase – Excess Of 100 MPH Chase – 3 County Pursuit – Four Car Crash – Hijacked Civilian Vehicles – Captured
- 08/2/19 Kent, WA – Woman Steals Kent Marked Tahoe – Half Hour Chase – Multiple Accidents – Many Patrol Cars Damaged
- 08/1/19 Santa Rosa, CA – Man Tried To Stab A Rosa Plaza Security Officer – Before Jumping Into A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Marked Unit – Deputy Shoots Suspect 3 Times Trying To Steal It