12/12/18 Kaufman, TX – Reckless Driver Traffic Stop – Felon In Possession Of Firearm Arrest – Felon In Handcuffs Smashed Patrol Car Cage – Steals Kaufman Police Car – Chase – Crash – Arrested Again
December 12, 2018
A felon, handcuffed in the back of a Kaufman Police Department squad car, broke into the front seat and led police on a chase before crashing into a field and attempting to flee on foot on Sunday.
The man, 33-year-old Tyler Lavon Hayes of Kaufman, Texas, now faces a number of felony charges in connection with the incident and is being held on a parole violation.
The Kauman Police Department initially received a call about a reckless driver, responded to the area of the vehicle, and conducted a traffic stop.
Hayes was found to be in unlawful possession of a firearm, due to being a convicted felon, and also in possession of marijuana, Kaufman Police Department Chief Dana Whitaker told inForney.com.
Hayes was arrested and placed into the back of a Kaufman Police Department patrol vehicle.
Whitaker says Hayes then kicked and damaged the cage separating the front seat and back seat, slipped his handcuffs underneath his legs, and gained access to the front seat. Once there, Whitaker says Hayes fled in the patrol vehicle.
Hayes later crashed through a fence, into a pasture, and attempted to flee on foot. Officers gave chase on foot and captured him a short distance later.
Now, in addition to the possession of marijuana charge and unlawful possession of a firearm by felon, Hayes is charged with criminal mischief for damage to the pasture fence, escape while arrested or confined, evading arrest or detention with a vehicle, evading arrest or detention, resisting arrest/search/or transport, and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and theft of property between $30,000 and $150,000 in connection with stealing the patrol vehicle.
He is being held in the Kaufman County Jail on bonds totaling $185,000 and a parole violation hold.
Hayes was on parole for a Smith County conviction for burglary of a habitation. His criminal history includes theft in Kaufman County, possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance in penalty group 2 in Fannin County, possession of marijuana in Weatherford, Texas, and credit or debit card abuse, forgery of a financial instrument, and theft of property in Smith County.
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/13/19 Eugene, OR – Police Officer Stopped Two Suspicious Men – One Man Ran Away – Officer Foot Chase – Second Man Steals His Patrol Car – Second Officer Fires His Weapon At Man In Stolen Patrol Car – Patrol Car Found Abandoned
- 03/13/19 Heavener, OK – Man Escapes From Jail In Missouri – Kidnaps Woman In Oklahoma – Police Catch Man Sleeping In Kidnapped Victim’s Vehicle – Man Steals Patrol Car In Handcuffs – May Have Hit Moving Train And Crashed – Escaped – Manhunt
- 03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
- 03/7/19 Forest Park, OH – 20 Year Old Woman In Lobby Of Police Station – Steals Running Patrol Car – She Is Chased Into Kentucky And Indiana – Spike Strips – Ran Into Ditch
- 03/6/19 Buffalo, NY – Police SUV Stolen From Officer – Hit Another Vehicle – One Person Injured – Hit House
- 03/3/19 San Luis Obispo County, CA – CHP Assists Disabled Pick Up With Small Children Inside – Man Steals CHP Patrol Car – SLO Deputies Assisted – Chase – Flattened Tires – Further Investigation Reveals Woman Found Murdered – Under Investigation – SLO Deputies Disarmed – Bean Bag Took Him Down – Arrested