12/12/18 Kaufman, TX – Reckless Driver Traffic Stop – Felon In Possession Of Firearm Arrest – Felon In Handcuffs Smashed Patrol Car Cage – Steals Kaufman Police Car – Chase – Crash – Arrested Again
December 12, 2018
A felon, handcuffed in the back of a Kaufman Police Department squad car, broke into the front seat and led police on a chase before crashing into a field and attempting to flee on foot on Sunday.
The man, 33-year-old Tyler Lavon Hayes of Kaufman, Texas, now faces a number of felony charges in connection with the incident and is being held on a parole violation.
The Kauman Police Department initially received a call about a reckless driver, responded to the area of the vehicle, and conducted a traffic stop.
Hayes was found to be in unlawful possession of a firearm, due to being a convicted felon, and also in possession of marijuana, Kaufman Police Department Chief Dana Whitaker told inForney.com.
Hayes was arrested and placed into the back of a Kaufman Police Department patrol vehicle.
Whitaker says Hayes then kicked and damaged the cage separating the front seat and back seat, slipped his handcuffs underneath his legs, and gained access to the front seat. Once there, Whitaker says Hayes fled in the patrol vehicle.
Hayes later crashed through a fence, into a pasture, and attempted to flee on foot. Officers gave chase on foot and captured him a short distance later.
Now, in addition to the possession of marijuana charge and unlawful possession of a firearm by felon, Hayes is charged with criminal mischief for damage to the pasture fence, escape while arrested or confined, evading arrest or detention with a vehicle, evading arrest or detention, resisting arrest/search/or transport, and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and theft of property between $30,000 and $150,000 in connection with stealing the patrol vehicle.
He is being held in the Kaufman County Jail on bonds totaling $185,000 and a parole violation hold.
Hayes was on parole for a Smith County conviction for burglary of a habitation. His criminal history includes theft in Kaufman County, possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance in penalty group 2 in Fannin County, possession of marijuana in Weatherford, Texas, and credit or debit card abuse, forgery of a financial instrument, and theft of property in Smith County.
- 08/15/19 St. John’s County, FL – Wanted Felon In Accident – Combative – Steals Off Duty Lt. Unmarked – High Speed Chase – Pit Maneuver – Multiple Police Vehicles Crashed
- 08/15/19 Durham, CAN – 40 Year Old Man Chase In A Van – Foot Chase – Pushes Officer Into A Ditch And Tries To Steal His Marked Patrol Car – Captured
- 08/14/19 Milford, DE – 3 Juveniles Arrested After Stealing 5 Dodge Charger Police Cars – 2 Durangos And A Dodge Ram – State Police Pursuit Of Police Charger That Crashed Into A Tree – All 3 Arrested
- 08/13/19 Montebello, CA – Patrol Car Stolen From Police Station Found 1 Month Later – Totaled Over Embankment – Stolen Weapons – Police Equipment – 3 Arrested Had Weapons And Equipment
- 08/12/19 Coral Gables, FL – Police Cruiser Stolen From Officer’s Home – Rear Window Smashed – Abandoned
- 08/9/19 Charleston, WV – Man Harassing People In Emergency Room – Handcuffed And Placed Into Police Cruiser – Jumps Into Driver’s Seat And Tries To Steal It – Fights With Officers – Officers Saved The Vehicle
- 08/6/19 Montgomery County, OH – Passed Out Man In Pick Up Call – Man Steals Deputy’s Marked Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Crashed Into Vehicles – Spike Strips – Captured
- 08/5/19 California – Marked CHP SUV Stolen After Foot Chase – Excess Of 100 MPH Chase – 3 County Pursuit – Four Car Crash – Hijacked Civilian Vehicles – Captured
- 08/2/19 Kent, WA – Woman Steals Kent Marked Tahoe – Half Hour Chase – Multiple Accidents – Many Patrol Cars Damaged
- 08/1/19 Santa Rosa, CA – Man Tried To Stab A Rosa Plaza Security Officer – Before Jumping Into A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Marked Unit – Deputy Shoots Suspect 3 Times Trying To Steal It