11/9/18 Marion, OH – Man Steals Marion County Sheriff’s Patrol Car While Deputy Was Serving A Warrant – Patrol Car Flipped Over And Totaled
November 9, 2018
One person is in custody and a deputy on administrative leave after his cruiser was stolen, taken for a joyride and crashed, according to Marion Sheriff Tim Bailey.
Charges may be filed against Blake Phillip Hoffman, 20, who is accused of stealing a deputy’s cruiser shortly before midnight Thursday, while the deputy was trying to serve an arrest warrant at a residence in the 800 block of East Center Street, Bailey told the Star.
No one was injured in the incident, Bailey said.
The cruiser was unlocked and a set of keys were in the SUV when it was stolen from where it had been parked, down the street from the residence where the arrest warrant was being served, Bailey said.
The suspect took off down Center Street, headed east, with the cruiser’s lights and sirens on, Bailey said. There were loaded weapons in the cruiser, as well, he said.
The suspect tried to turn onto Davids Street, but the cruiser flipped and rolled, landing on its roof in the Elite Auto Sales lot, Bailey said. Part of the cruiser was on top of the hood of a car in the lot, damaging its hood and cracking its windshield, he said.
The suspect, Hoffman, is believed to be suffering from mental health complications, Bailey said.
The cruiser was totaled, Bailey said, and will need to be replaced.
The deputy whose cruiser was left unlocked, Nick Van Buskirk, is on administrative leave pending an internal investigation, Bailey said. Depending on what the internal investigation finds, the deputy could be disciplined with anything from a written reprimand to firing.
Bailey said it is very fortunate that no one was hurt.
“I don’t know how fast he was going but he was going fast enough to destroy that cruiser,” he said.
Hoffman was arrested on suspicion of grand theft, a felony offense, and taken to the Multi-County Correctional Center, Bailey said. Prosecutors are reviewing the case, and no formal charges have been filed at this time.
- 06/17/19 Tyndall, SD – Two Vehicle Accident – Four Passengers Given Comfort Sitting In Patrol Car – The Four Stole The Tyndall Patrol Car – Long 40 Mile Pursuit – 100 MPH According To Bon Homme Sheriff’s Office – Patrol Car Ran Out Of Gas – One Woman Captured – Three Escaped
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured
- 05/30/19 Kosciusko County, IN – 16 Year Old Runaway That Removed Her Ankle Bracelet After Crashing A Hyundai – In Handcuffs – Steals Sheriff’s Patrol Vehicle – Crashes Into Building – Breaks Into House – Multiple Charges – Meth Arrest
- 05/28/19 Sour Lake, TX – Man In Convenience Store Severely Beat To Critical Condition A Sour Lake Police Officer – He Stole His Police Car And It Was Found Abandoned On The Highway – Massive Search And Captured
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car