11/9/18 Marion, OH – Man Steals Marion County Sheriff’s Patrol Car While Deputy Was Serving A Warrant – Patrol Car Flipped Over And Totaled
November 9, 2018
One person is in custody and a deputy on administrative leave after his cruiser was stolen, taken for a joyride and crashed, according to Marion Sheriff Tim Bailey.
Charges may be filed against Blake Phillip Hoffman, 20, who is accused of stealing a deputy’s cruiser shortly before midnight Thursday, while the deputy was trying to serve an arrest warrant at a residence in the 800 block of East Center Street, Bailey told the Star.
No one was injured in the incident, Bailey said.
The cruiser was unlocked and a set of keys were in the SUV when it was stolen from where it had been parked, down the street from the residence where the arrest warrant was being served, Bailey said.
The suspect took off down Center Street, headed east, with the cruiser’s lights and sirens on, Bailey said. There were loaded weapons in the cruiser, as well, he said.
The suspect tried to turn onto Davids Street, but the cruiser flipped and rolled, landing on its roof in the Elite Auto Sales lot, Bailey said. Part of the cruiser was on top of the hood of a car in the lot, damaging its hood and cracking its windshield, he said.
The suspect, Hoffman, is believed to be suffering from mental health complications, Bailey said.
The cruiser was totaled, Bailey said, and will need to be replaced.
The deputy whose cruiser was left unlocked, Nick Van Buskirk, is on administrative leave pending an internal investigation, Bailey said. Depending on what the internal investigation finds, the deputy could be disciplined with anything from a written reprimand to firing.
Bailey said it is very fortunate that no one was hurt.
“I don’t know how fast he was going but he was going fast enough to destroy that cruiser,” he said.
Hoffman was arrested on suspicion of grand theft, a felony offense, and taken to the Multi-County Correctional Center, Bailey said. Prosecutors are reviewing the case, and no formal charges have been filed at this time.
- 04/9/19 Oakdale, MN – Man Assaults Girlfriend With Motor Vehicle – Steals Marked Patrol Car – 75 MPH – Dangerous – Taunting On The Police Radio – Pit Maneuver Stop – Suicide By Cop Gestures With Cell Phone – Captured
- 04/5/19 Nashville, TN – Female Burglary Suspect Steals Metro Police Cruiser – Chase – Spike Strips – Damage
- 04/3/19 Albany, GA – Cordele Police Unmarked Explorer Stolen From Albany – BOLO – Has Lights And Sirens – No Weapons
- 04/2/19 Utica, MI – High Speed Chase Through Multiple Cities – Two Suspects Bail Out Of Vehicle – Police Run After Them On Foot – Third Suspect Bails Out Of Vehicle And Steals Sterling Heights Police Cruiser – Crash – Three Arrests
- 03/29/19 Harden County, TN – Inmate On Way To Methadone Clinic Slipped Out Of Her Handcuffs – Grabbed The Patrol Car Keys – Stole The Patrol Car – The Officer Was Dragged And Injured – Inmate Later Captured
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/14/19 Louisville, KY – Three Juveniles Stole a Louisville Metro PD Unmarked Police Car – AR15 And Remington Shotgun Taken Out Of Stolen Vehicle – An Adult Also Arrested