11/9/18 Marion, OH – Man Steals Marion County Sheriff’s Patrol Car While Deputy Was Serving A Warrant – Patrol Car Flipped Over And Totaled
November 9, 2018
One person is in custody and a deputy on administrative leave after his cruiser was stolen, taken for a joyride and crashed, according to Marion Sheriff Tim Bailey.
Charges may be filed against Blake Phillip Hoffman, 20, who is accused of stealing a deputy’s cruiser shortly before midnight Thursday, while the deputy was trying to serve an arrest warrant at a residence in the 800 block of East Center Street, Bailey told the Star.
No one was injured in the incident, Bailey said.
The cruiser was unlocked and a set of keys were in the SUV when it was stolen from where it had been parked, down the street from the residence where the arrest warrant was being served, Bailey said.
The suspect took off down Center Street, headed east, with the cruiser’s lights and sirens on, Bailey said. There were loaded weapons in the cruiser, as well, he said.
The suspect tried to turn onto Davids Street, but the cruiser flipped and rolled, landing on its roof in the Elite Auto Sales lot, Bailey said. Part of the cruiser was on top of the hood of a car in the lot, damaging its hood and cracking its windshield, he said.
The suspect, Hoffman, is believed to be suffering from mental health complications, Bailey said.
The cruiser was totaled, Bailey said, and will need to be replaced.
The deputy whose cruiser was left unlocked, Nick Van Buskirk, is on administrative leave pending an internal investigation, Bailey said. Depending on what the internal investigation finds, the deputy could be disciplined with anything from a written reprimand to firing.
Bailey said it is very fortunate that no one was hurt.
“I don’t know how fast he was going but he was going fast enough to destroy that cruiser,” he said.
Hoffman was arrested on suspicion of grand theft, a felony offense, and taken to the Multi-County Correctional Center, Bailey said. Prosecutors are reviewing the case, and no formal charges have been filed at this time.
- 02/17/19 Chapmanville, WV – DUI Suspect In Handcuffs Steals Police Cruiser – Hits 3 Civilian Vehicles And A Second Police Cruiser – Arrested
- 02/15/19 Rochelle Park, NJ – Burglary Suspect Caught By Residents On Second Floor – Jumps From Roof To Get Away – Jumps Into Police Car When He Thought It Was The Lyft That He Called – Arrested For Attempted Theft
- 02/10/19 Colorado Springs, CO – Suspicious Person Call – Man Jumps Into Marked Cruiser – High Speed – Rolls Marked Cruiser Several Times – Shutdown Highway For Hours
- 02/8/19 Columbus, OH – Overdose Call – Police Revive Man With Narcan – He Was Given CPR By Bystanders First – He Jumps In And Steals Their Police Cruiser – Escaped – Abandoned Cruiser
- 02/8/19 Turlock, CA – Parolee Enters Secure Area Of Police Station – Is Found Attempting To Steal Patrol Car – Captured
- 02/7/19 Chattanooga, TN – Man Fights With Police Officer – Steals Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Gets Stuck In Mud – Police Had To Break Window – Handgun And Meth Found On Him
- 02/5/19 Corpus Christi, TX – Lengthy Pursuit – In Custody Suspect Steals Patrol Car – Slams Into Innocent Woman’s Vehicle with Three Juveniles – Five Taken To Hospital
- 02/4/19 Asheboro, NC – Randolph County Sheriff’s Officer Had A Family Member Steal A Patrol Car From The Home Of The Assigned Member – The Sheriff’s Officer Member Was Away At The Time – Totaled Patrol Car – 17 Year Old Arrested
- 02/3/19 Detroit, MI – Marked Dodge Charger Stolen While Officer Left It Running – Suspect Arrested Under The Influence
- 02/1/19 Kansas City, KS – Traffic Stop – Suspect Steals Marked Police Cruiser – Pursuit – Crash Into Ravine – Suspect Escapes – Tries To Climb In Taco Bell Drive Up Window – Arrested