11/6/18 Atoka, TN – Woman Steals Shelby County Sheriff’s Pick Up – Drives To Arkansas – Gets In Head On Accident And Killed
November 6, 2018
An Atoka woman was killed in a wreck Monday after authorities say she stole a county-owned truck from Memphis, put her daughter and adopted children inside, and drove to Arkansas because they were “possessed by demons.”
The Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office said 41-year-old Rosalind Craig was killed around 5:30 a.m. when the Chevrolet Silverado she was driving slammed head-on into a Union Pacific utility truck on a two-lane road north of Little Rock. A witness said Craig’s truck crossed the center line.
The sheriff’s office said the passengers in Craig’s truck included her daughter, a friend and her adopted children. They, along with the driver of the Union Pacific truck, were taken to hospitals but their injuries were not serious.
According to witnesses, Craig stole a Shelby County-owned truck with government plates and then drove aimlessly through Arkansas.
Craig told her passengers she was “taking them on the other side of heaven to meet Jesus” and that they were “leaving the Memphis area due to being possessed by demons,” according to witness reports.
Craig’s friends were stunned by the news.
“She loved her kids. This is just not in her character at all,” Jossie Dunlap said.
The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office said the truck was a non-emergency sheriff’s vehicle that was stolen around 11 p.m. Sunday from their location in the 1000 block of Mullins Station in Memphis.
Lt. Anthony Buckner with SCSO said Craig had no ties to the sheriff’s department and they are reviewing video to see how the truck was stolen.
Craig’s family says they’re saddened and confused. They say she wouldn’t have intentionally put her children in danger. And they also don’t understand why she would’ve stolen a vehicle, especially when she had two of her own.
“The girl started talking about seeing ghosts and demons and stuff. And I think she just got in Rosalind’s head,” her mother said.
A day before she died, Craig’s mother says she called police to her home after an altercation with her daughter and her daughter’s friend.
“She was saying there were demons in the house, and ‘I had demons in me.’ She looked like she looked evil,” she said.
Craig’s family also says she didn’t have any ties to the sheriff’s department. But they believe her friend who was also in the car with her does.
For now, Craig’s children are with Department of Children’s Services.
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested