11/2/18 Birmingham, Al – Officers Observed Erratic Driver – Chase – Suspect Bails Out – Runs – Circles Back – Steals Birmingham Police Patrol Car – Second Chase – Suspect Bails – Escaped
November 2, 2018
A search is underway for a suspect after a Birmingham police car was stolen.
Birmingham officers saw the man on Pike Road driving erratically Friday afternoon.
A chase began, and at some point the suspect jumped out of his car. Officers started chasing him on foot. At one point he circled back around and hopped in the patrol car and took off.
The car was found in front of the Fairfield Community Center.
“A couple of our officers got behind an individual extremely reckless – driving at a high rate of speed. He seemed to be intoxicated,” Birmingham Police Capt. Sean Edwards said.
After a short chase, officers say the man jumped out and began to run.
“It appeared the suspect we were after came back around and got inside of a patrol car. Got inside a patrol car and drove for several blocks,” says Edwards.
Officers chased again and cornered him on the dead-end street in front of the community center. But he hopped out and started running again.
That’s when officers called in backup, including K-9s to search the area.
“We’re just not going to tolerate individuals who are going to totally disrespect us and get inside a patrol car,” Edwards says.
Police are still searching for the man. They do not believe the public is in any danger. While officers wouldn’t release the man’s name, they say they know who he is and that he has a criminal history.
“We don’t think this individual is a violent person, but the reality is you don’t know what’s in people’s minds – don’t know what they’ll do once police are behind them,” Edwards says. “If it takes us all day, we’re going to find this individual and we’re pretty hopeful.”
Once police find the man, they know he will definitely be charged with reckless driving and attempting to allude. They say it will be up to the district attorney to determine if he’ll be charged for stealing the car.
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/13/19 Eugene, OR – Police Officer Stopped Two Suspicious Men – One Man Ran Away – Officer Foot Chase – Second Man Steals His Patrol Car – Second Officer Fires His Weapon At Man In Stolen Patrol Car – Patrol Car Found Abandoned
- 03/13/19 Heavener, OK – Man Escapes From Jail In Missouri – Kidnaps Woman In Oklahoma – Police Catch Man Sleeping In Kidnapped Victim’s Vehicle – Man Steals Patrol Car In Handcuffs – May Have Hit Moving Train And Crashed – Escaped – Manhunt
- 03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
- 03/7/19 Forest Park, OH – 20 Year Old Woman In Lobby Of Police Station – Steals Running Patrol Car – She Is Chased Into Kentucky And Indiana – Spike Strips – Ran Into Ditch
- 03/6/19 Buffalo, NY – Police SUV Stolen From Officer – Hit Another Vehicle – One Person Injured – Hit House
- 03/3/19 San Luis Obispo County, CA – CHP Assists Disabled Pick Up With Small Children Inside – Man Steals CHP Patrol Car – SLO Deputies Assisted – Chase – Flattened Tires – Further Investigation Reveals Woman Found Murdered – Under Investigation – SLO Deputies Disarmed – Bean Bag Took Him Down – Arrested