11/16/18 Land O’ Lakes, FL – Man Just Released From Jail For Auto Theft – Walks Up To Deputy’s Car And Tries To Get In – Didn’t Know A Deputy Was In The Running Vehicle – Arrested Again – Back In Jail
November 16, 2018
Second time’s a charm, right?
A New Port Richey man, who had just been freed from jail Tuesday for an auto theft charge, tried to break into a car on his way through the jail parking lot, according to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.
The problem: A deputy was behind the wheel.
Klaid Karpuzi, 41, was arrested by the deputy and marched back inside the Land O’ Lakes Detention Center, the Sheriff’s Office said. Now he faces a second charge of attempted auto theft.
Karpuzi’s first arrest was on Sunday after deputies said he stole a vehicle. He was released Tuesday on $5,000 bail.
Here’s what the Sheriff’s Office said happened next:
An off-duty deputy was parked outside the jail when she watched Karpuzi walk around her vehicle and pull on the passenger-side door handle.
She got out and identified herself as a deputy, the Sheriff’s Office said, and then escorted Karpuzi to the front lobby of the jail.
The man told deputies he saw a vehicle with the engine on and didn’t realize anyone was inside, according to a Sheriff’s Office report.
Karpuzi was released again Wednesday morning on another $5,000 bail, this time without incident.
- 08/15/19 St. John’s County, FL – Wanted Felon In Accident – Combative – Steals Off Duty Lt. Unmarked – High Speed Chase – Pit Maneuver – Multiple Police Vehicles Crashed
- 08/15/19 Durham, CAN – 40 Year Old Man Chase In A Van – Foot Chase – Pushes Officer Into A Ditch And Tries To Steal His Marked Patrol Car – Captured
- 08/14/19 Milford, DE – 3 Juveniles Arrested After Stealing 5 Dodge Charger Police Cars – 2 Durangos And A Dodge Ram – State Police Pursuit Of Police Charger That Crashed Into A Tree – All 3 Arrested
- 08/13/19 Montebello, CA – Patrol Car Stolen From Police Station Found 1 Month Later – Totaled Over Embankment – Stolen Weapons – Police Equipment – 3 Arrested Had Weapons And Equipment
- 08/12/19 Coral Gables, FL – Police Cruiser Stolen From Officer’s Home – Rear Window Smashed – Abandoned
- 08/9/19 Charleston, WV – Man Harassing People In Emergency Room – Handcuffed And Placed Into Police Cruiser – Jumps Into Driver’s Seat And Tries To Steal It – Fights With Officers – Officers Saved The Vehicle
- 08/6/19 Montgomery County, OH – Passed Out Man In Pick Up Call – Man Steals Deputy’s Marked Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Crashed Into Vehicles – Spike Strips – Captured
- 08/5/19 California – Marked CHP SUV Stolen After Foot Chase – Excess Of 100 MPH Chase – 3 County Pursuit – Four Car Crash – Hijacked Civilian Vehicles – Captured
- 08/2/19 Kent, WA – Woman Steals Kent Marked Tahoe – Half Hour Chase – Multiple Accidents – Many Patrol Cars Damaged
- 08/1/19 Santa Rosa, CA – Man Tried To Stab A Rosa Plaza Security Officer – Before Jumping Into A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Marked Unit – Deputy Shoots Suspect 3 Times Trying To Steal It