11/16/18 Land O’ Lakes, FL – Man Just Released From Jail For Auto Theft – Walks Up To Deputy’s Car And Tries To Get In – Didn’t Know A Deputy Was In The Running Vehicle – Arrested Again – Back In Jail
November 16, 2018
Second time’s a charm, right?
A New Port Richey man, who had just been freed from jail Tuesday for an auto theft charge, tried to break into a car on his way through the jail parking lot, according to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.
The problem: A deputy was behind the wheel.
Klaid Karpuzi, 41, was arrested by the deputy and marched back inside the Land O’ Lakes Detention Center, the Sheriff’s Office said. Now he faces a second charge of attempted auto theft.
Karpuzi’s first arrest was on Sunday after deputies said he stole a vehicle. He was released Tuesday on $5,000 bail.
Here’s what the Sheriff’s Office said happened next:
An off-duty deputy was parked outside the jail when she watched Karpuzi walk around her vehicle and pull on the passenger-side door handle.
She got out and identified herself as a deputy, the Sheriff’s Office said, and then escorted Karpuzi to the front lobby of the jail.
The man told deputies he saw a vehicle with the engine on and didn’t realize anyone was inside, according to a Sheriff’s Office report.
Karpuzi was released again Wednesday morning on another $5,000 bail, this time without incident.
- 06/17/19 Tyndall, SD – Two Vehicle Accident – Four Passengers Given Comfort Sitting In Patrol Car – The Four Stole The Tyndall Patrol Car – Long 40 Mile Pursuit – 100 MPH According To Bon Homme Sheriff’s Office – Patrol Car Ran Out Of Gas – One Woman Captured – Three Escaped
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured
- 05/30/19 Kosciusko County, IN – 16 Year Old Runaway That Removed Her Ankle Bracelet After Crashing A Hyundai – In Handcuffs – Steals Sheriff’s Patrol Vehicle – Crashes Into Building – Breaks Into House – Multiple Charges – Meth Arrest
- 05/28/19 Sour Lake, TX – Man In Convenience Store Severely Beat To Critical Condition A Sour Lake Police Officer – He Stole His Police Car And It Was Found Abandoned On The Highway – Massive Search And Captured
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car