10/5/18 Fort Pierce, FL – 22 Year Old Man That Looked In Distress Jumps Into Police Car And Steals It – High Speed All The Way To Vero Beach – Gets Stuck And Captured
October 5, 2018
A 22-year-old man is being investigated after Fort Pierce police say he absconded with a patrol car Friday morning and drove to Vero Beach.
The man wound up driving into a residential yard and getting stuck, Acting Deputy Chief Robert Ridle said. The incident began about 5:40 a.m.
“He didn’t hit a tree or a house,” Ridle said. “He couldn’t drive any further and he willingly gave up at that point.”
Ridle said the incident happened as an officer was on his way to roll call. At Delaware Avenue and U.S. 1, the officer spotted the man in the intersection.
“He thinks he’s in some kind of distress,” Ridle said. “He didn’t know what the issue was, he just knew he had a man in the middle of the road, and that’s hazardous.”
Ridle said the officer stopped and activated the lights to stop other vehicles from hitting him.
“As he approached the male on foot, the male ran around the police car and went in through the passenger door, got in the car and began driving north on U.S. 1,” Ridle said.
The car stopped in the 2000 block of Nevarra Avenue in Vero Beach.
Ridle said the pursuit wasn’t a dangerous one, but did reach some “upper speeds.”
Ridle said there were no injuries and that the man was taken to a hospital for evaluation.
“He didn’t do anything with the car other than drive it,” Ridle said.
Ridle said the sheriff’s offices of Indian River and St. Lucie counties and Vero Beach Police Department helped.
- 12/14/18 San Diego, CA – Man Steals City Park Ranger’s Truck – Chased On Freeway With Siren Blazing – Got Off Freeway – Ditched The Truck And Ran – Captured In Canyon Barefoot
- 12/13/18 San Francisco, CA – Man Breaks Into FBI Facility In San Francisco – Steals FBI Unmarked SUV With Body Armor – Man Arrested At Golden Gate Park Smashing Into Objects
- 12/12/18 Kaufman, TX – Reckless Driver Traffic Stop – Felon In Possession Of Firearm Arrest – Felon In Handcuffs Smashed Patrol Car Cage – Steals Kaufman Police Car – Chase – Crash – Arrested Again
- 12/11/18 Canton, MS – Inmate Steals Madison County Sheriff’s Office Van – Inmate Stole The Van When Returning To Jail From Court – Officer’s Firearm Left In Van – Escaped – Massive Search
- 12/8/18 Little Rock, AR – Traffic Stop Of Intoxicated Man – Assaults Two Deputies And Steals Pulaski County Sheriff’s SUV – Crash Into Other Sheriff’s Vehicles After Long Chase – Three Deputies Injured
- 12/5/18 Billings, MT – 18 Year Old Man Punched Police Officer – Tried To Steal His Patrol Car While Naked After Foot Chase – Tased And Arrested
- 12/3/18 Canterbury, NH – Crashed Vehicle Accident – 18 Year Old Male Assaulted A Woman With A Pipe – Man Jumps Into New Hampshire State SUV And Couldn’t Put It In Drive (Tremco Save) – He Is Handcuffed – Put In Second NH State Patrol Car – Climbs Into Front And Tries To Steal 2nd Patrol Car – Couldn’t Get It Out Of Park (2nd Tremco Save)
- 11/29/18 Spartanburg, SC – Pickens County Sheriff’s Deputies Were In Pursuit Of A Stolen Vehicle – A Pickens Police Officer Foot Chased Suspect – Man Steals Patrol Car – Police Officer’s Find My Phone App Located Abandoned Patrol Car – Escaped
- 11/22/18 Simpson County, MS – Handcuffed Man Steals MISSISSIPPI HIGHWAY PATROL CAR – Pursuit – Steals Second Vehicle – Ditches It – Steals 3rd Vehicle With Gun In It – Escaped – Massive Search
- 11/21/18 Brevard County, FL – Inmate Steals Brevard County Sheriff’s Unmarked Impala All The Way To Orlando – Suspect Abandons Deputy’s Car – Escaped