10/4/18 Orange County, FL – House Fire Call – Deputy Rescuing Fire Victims – Woman Steals His Orange County Patrol Car – This Is The Woman That Is Alleged To Have Started The House Fire – Woman Arrested Miles Away
October 4, 2018
A deputy’s patrol vehicle was stolen while he was responding to an incident at an Orange County home Thursday morning.
Authorities said when Deputy M. Ruiz got to the home, Michael Cooper, his wife, Elores Cooper, 58, and his wife’s mother stumbled out of the front door. A large amount of smoke was coming from the house.
Michael Cooper ran back inside the burning home as Ruiz approached the trio, according to deputies. Michael Cooper later told deputies he ran back inside in an attempt to stop the flames.
Deputies said Ruiz grabbed a fire extinguisher from his patrol car and went into the home to get him, believing their could have been someone else inside.
Authorities said when Ruiz found Michael Cooper, he was able to get him outside but discovered his vehicle and Elores Cooper were gone.
Ruiz put out a call from his radio alerting authorities that the woman could possibly have his vehicle. Authorities were able to track Elores Cooper through Orange County streets with an app that tracks Ruiz’s iPhone, which was still in the car.
The patrol vehicle was found on 2807 Street, but it was not occupied.
A witness told authorities told Elores Cooper came to his door and asked to call police, but he did not let her inside, and instead called the police himself.
A deputy was able to detain and arrest Elores Cooper almost 700 feet from where the car was left.
According to authorities, Michael Cooper said earlier in the night his wife tried to take her mother out of the home multiple times.
At one point, Elores Cooper walked to a bathroom inside of a bedroom with a bunch of matches, then ran out, an arrest report said.
Authorities said when that happened, Michael Cooper took Elores Cooper’s mother from the home. As the group was leaving the home, Ruiz arrived on the scene.
Elores Cooper was arrested and faces a charge of grand theft motor vehicle.
- 02/17/19 Chapmanville, WV – DUI Suspect In Handcuffs Steals Police Cruiser – Hits 3 Civilian Vehicles And A Second Police Cruiser – Arrested
- 02/15/19 Rochelle Park, NJ – Burglary Suspect Caught By Residents On Second Floor – Jumps From Roof To Get Away – Jumps Into Police Car When He Thought It Was The Lyft That He Called – Arrested For Attempted Theft
- 02/10/19 Colorado Springs, CO – Suspicious Person Call – Man Jumps Into Marked Cruiser – High Speed – Rolls Marked Cruiser Several Times – Shutdown Highway For Hours
- 02/8/19 Columbus, OH – Overdose Call – Police Revive Man With Narcan – He Was Given CPR By Bystanders First – He Jumps In And Steals Their Police Cruiser – Escaped – Abandoned Cruiser
- 02/8/19 Turlock, CA – Parolee Enters Secure Area Of Police Station – Is Found Attempting To Steal Patrol Car – Captured
- 02/7/19 Chattanooga, TN – Man Fights With Police Officer – Steals Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Gets Stuck In Mud – Police Had To Break Window – Handgun And Meth Found On Him
- 02/5/19 Corpus Christi, TX – Lengthy Pursuit – In Custody Suspect Steals Patrol Car – Slams Into Innocent Woman’s Vehicle with Three Juveniles – Five Taken To Hospital
- 02/4/19 Asheboro, NC – Randolph County Sheriff’s Officer Had A Family Member Steal A Patrol Car From The Home Of The Assigned Member – The Sheriff’s Officer Member Was Away At The Time – Totaled Patrol Car – 17 Year Old Arrested
- 02/3/19 Detroit, MI – Marked Dodge Charger Stolen While Officer Left It Running – Suspect Arrested Under The Influence
- 02/1/19 Kansas City, KS – Traffic Stop – Suspect Steals Marked Police Cruiser – Pursuit – Crash Into Ravine – Suspect Escapes – Tries To Climb In Taco Bell Drive Up Window – Arrested