10/4/18 Orange County, FL – House Fire Call – Deputy Rescuing Fire Victims – Woman Steals His Orange County Patrol Car – This Is The Woman That Is Alleged To Have Started The House Fire – Woman Arrested Miles Away
October 4, 2018
A deputy’s patrol vehicle was stolen while he was responding to an incident at an Orange County home Thursday morning.
Authorities said when Deputy M. Ruiz got to the home, Michael Cooper, his wife, Elores Cooper, 58, and his wife’s mother stumbled out of the front door. A large amount of smoke was coming from the house.
Michael Cooper ran back inside the burning home as Ruiz approached the trio, according to deputies. Michael Cooper later told deputies he ran back inside in an attempt to stop the flames.
Deputies said Ruiz grabbed a fire extinguisher from his patrol car and went into the home to get him, believing their could have been someone else inside.
Authorities said when Ruiz found Michael Cooper, he was able to get him outside but discovered his vehicle and Elores Cooper were gone.
Ruiz put out a call from his radio alerting authorities that the woman could possibly have his vehicle. Authorities were able to track Elores Cooper through Orange County streets with an app that tracks Ruiz’s iPhone, which was still in the car.
The patrol vehicle was found on 2807 Street, but it was not occupied.
A witness told authorities told Elores Cooper came to his door and asked to call police, but he did not let her inside, and instead called the police himself.
A deputy was able to detain and arrest Elores Cooper almost 700 feet from where the car was left.
According to authorities, Michael Cooper said earlier in the night his wife tried to take her mother out of the home multiple times.
At one point, Elores Cooper walked to a bathroom inside of a bedroom with a bunch of matches, then ran out, an arrest report said.
Authorities said when that happened, Michael Cooper took Elores Cooper’s mother from the home. As the group was leaving the home, Ruiz arrived on the scene.
Elores Cooper was arrested and faces a charge of grand theft motor vehicle.
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured
- 05/30/19 Kosciusko County, IN – 16 Year Old Runaway That Removed Her Ankle Bracelet After Crashing A Hyundai – In Handcuffs – Steals Sheriff’s Patrol Vehicle – Crashes Into Building – Breaks Into House – Multiple Charges – Meth Arrest
- 05/28/19 Sour Lake, TX – Man In Convenience Store Severely Beat To Critical Condition A Sour Lake Police Officer – He Stole His Police Car And It Was Found Abandoned On The Highway – Massive Search And Captured
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact