10/4/18 Orange County, FL – House Fire Call – Deputy Rescuing Fire Victims – Woman Steals His Orange County Patrol Car – This Is The Woman That Is Alleged To Have Started The House Fire – Woman Arrested Miles Away
October 4, 2018
A deputy’s patrol vehicle was stolen while he was responding to an incident at an Orange County home Thursday morning.
Authorities said when Deputy M. Ruiz got to the home, Michael Cooper, his wife, Elores Cooper, 58, and his wife’s mother stumbled out of the front door. A large amount of smoke was coming from the house.
Michael Cooper ran back inside the burning home as Ruiz approached the trio, according to deputies. Michael Cooper later told deputies he ran back inside in an attempt to stop the flames.
Deputies said Ruiz grabbed a fire extinguisher from his patrol car and went into the home to get him, believing their could have been someone else inside.
Authorities said when Ruiz found Michael Cooper, he was able to get him outside but discovered his vehicle and Elores Cooper were gone.
Ruiz put out a call from his radio alerting authorities that the woman could possibly have his vehicle. Authorities were able to track Elores Cooper through Orange County streets with an app that tracks Ruiz’s iPhone, which was still in the car.
The patrol vehicle was found on 2807 Street, but it was not occupied.
A witness told authorities told Elores Cooper came to his door and asked to call police, but he did not let her inside, and instead called the police himself.
A deputy was able to detain and arrest Elores Cooper almost 700 feet from where the car was left.
According to authorities, Michael Cooper said earlier in the night his wife tried to take her mother out of the home multiple times.
At one point, Elores Cooper walked to a bathroom inside of a bedroom with a bunch of matches, then ran out, an arrest report said.
Authorities said when that happened, Michael Cooper took Elores Cooper’s mother from the home. As the group was leaving the home, Ruiz arrived on the scene.
Elores Cooper was arrested and faces a charge of grand theft motor vehicle.
- 04/9/19 Oakdale, MN – Man Assaults Girlfriend With Motor Vehicle – Steals Marked Patrol Car – 75 MPH – Dangerous – Taunting On The Police Radio – Pit Maneuver Stop – Suicide By Cop Gestures With Cell Phone – Captured
- 04/5/19 Nashville, TN – Female Burglary Suspect Steals Metro Police Cruiser – Chase – Spike Strips – Damage
- 04/3/19 Albany, GA – Cordele Police Unmarked Explorer Stolen From Albany – BOLO – Has Lights And Sirens – No Weapons
- 04/2/19 Utica, MI – High Speed Chase Through Multiple Cities – Two Suspects Bail Out Of Vehicle – Police Run After Them On Foot – Third Suspect Bails Out Of Vehicle And Steals Sterling Heights Police Cruiser – Crash – Three Arrests
- 03/29/19 Harden County, TN – Inmate On Way To Methadone Clinic Slipped Out Of Her Handcuffs – Grabbed The Patrol Car Keys – Stole The Patrol Car – The Officer Was Dragged And Injured – Inmate Later Captured
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/14/19 Louisville, KY – Three Juveniles Stole a Louisville Metro PD Unmarked Police Car – AR15 And Remington Shotgun Taken Out Of Stolen Vehicle – An Adult Also Arrested