10/4/18 Orange County, FL – House Fire Call – Deputy Rescuing Fire Victims – Woman Steals His Orange County Patrol Car – This Is The Woman That Is Alleged To Have Started The House Fire – Woman Arrested Miles Away
October 4, 2018
A deputy’s patrol vehicle was stolen while he was responding to an incident at an Orange County home Thursday morning.
Authorities said when Deputy M. Ruiz got to the home, Michael Cooper, his wife, Elores Cooper, 58, and his wife’s mother stumbled out of the front door. A large amount of smoke was coming from the house.
Michael Cooper ran back inside the burning home as Ruiz approached the trio, according to deputies. Michael Cooper later told deputies he ran back inside in an attempt to stop the flames.
Deputies said Ruiz grabbed a fire extinguisher from his patrol car and went into the home to get him, believing their could have been someone else inside.
Authorities said when Ruiz found Michael Cooper, he was able to get him outside but discovered his vehicle and Elores Cooper were gone.
Ruiz put out a call from his radio alerting authorities that the woman could possibly have his vehicle. Authorities were able to track Elores Cooper through Orange County streets with an app that tracks Ruiz’s iPhone, which was still in the car.
The patrol vehicle was found on 2807 Street, but it was not occupied.
A witness told authorities told Elores Cooper came to his door and asked to call police, but he did not let her inside, and instead called the police himself.
A deputy was able to detain and arrest Elores Cooper almost 700 feet from where the car was left.
According to authorities, Michael Cooper said earlier in the night his wife tried to take her mother out of the home multiple times.
At one point, Elores Cooper walked to a bathroom inside of a bedroom with a bunch of matches, then ran out, an arrest report said.
Authorities said when that happened, Michael Cooper took Elores Cooper’s mother from the home. As the group was leaving the home, Ruiz arrived on the scene.
Elores Cooper was arrested and faces a charge of grand theft motor vehicle.
- 08/15/19 St. John’s County, FL – Wanted Felon In Accident – Combative – Steals Off Duty Lt. Unmarked – High Speed Chase – Pit Maneuver – Multiple Police Vehicles Crashed
- 08/15/19 Durham, CAN – 40 Year Old Man Chase In A Van – Foot Chase – Pushes Officer Into A Ditch And Tries To Steal His Marked Patrol Car – Captured
- 08/14/19 Milford, DE – 3 Juveniles Arrested After Stealing 5 Dodge Charger Police Cars – 2 Durangos And A Dodge Ram – State Police Pursuit Of Police Charger That Crashed Into A Tree – All 3 Arrested
- 08/13/19 Montebello, CA – Patrol Car Stolen From Police Station Found 1 Month Later – Totaled Over Embankment – Stolen Weapons – Police Equipment – 3 Arrested Had Weapons And Equipment
- 08/12/19 Coral Gables, FL – Police Cruiser Stolen From Officer’s Home – Rear Window Smashed – Abandoned
- 08/9/19 Charleston, WV – Man Harassing People In Emergency Room – Handcuffed And Placed Into Police Cruiser – Jumps Into Driver’s Seat And Tries To Steal It – Fights With Officers – Officers Saved The Vehicle
- 08/6/19 Montgomery County, OH – Passed Out Man In Pick Up Call – Man Steals Deputy’s Marked Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Crashed Into Vehicles – Spike Strips – Captured
- 08/5/19 California – Marked CHP SUV Stolen After Foot Chase – Excess Of 100 MPH Chase – 3 County Pursuit – Four Car Crash – Hijacked Civilian Vehicles – Captured
- 08/2/19 Kent, WA – Woman Steals Kent Marked Tahoe – Half Hour Chase – Multiple Accidents – Many Patrol Cars Damaged
- 08/1/19 Santa Rosa, CA – Man Tried To Stab A Rosa Plaza Security Officer – Before Jumping Into A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Marked Unit – Deputy Shoots Suspect 3 Times Trying To Steal It