10/4/18 Orange County, FL – House Fire Call – Deputy Rescuing Fire Victims – Woman Steals His Orange County Patrol Car – This Is The Woman That Is Alleged To Have Started The House Fire – Woman Arrested Miles Away
October 4, 2018
A deputy’s patrol vehicle was stolen while he was responding to an incident at an Orange County home Thursday morning.
Authorities said when Deputy M. Ruiz got to the home, Michael Cooper, his wife, Elores Cooper, 58, and his wife’s mother stumbled out of the front door. A large amount of smoke was coming from the house.
Michael Cooper ran back inside the burning home as Ruiz approached the trio, according to deputies. Michael Cooper later told deputies he ran back inside in an attempt to stop the flames.
Deputies said Ruiz grabbed a fire extinguisher from his patrol car and went into the home to get him, believing their could have been someone else inside.
Authorities said when Ruiz found Michael Cooper, he was able to get him outside but discovered his vehicle and Elores Cooper were gone.
Ruiz put out a call from his radio alerting authorities that the woman could possibly have his vehicle. Authorities were able to track Elores Cooper through Orange County streets with an app that tracks Ruiz’s iPhone, which was still in the car.
The patrol vehicle was found on 2807 Street, but it was not occupied.
A witness told authorities told Elores Cooper came to his door and asked to call police, but he did not let her inside, and instead called the police himself.
A deputy was able to detain and arrest Elores Cooper almost 700 feet from where the car was left.
According to authorities, Michael Cooper said earlier in the night his wife tried to take her mother out of the home multiple times.
At one point, Elores Cooper walked to a bathroom inside of a bedroom with a bunch of matches, then ran out, an arrest report said.
Authorities said when that happened, Michael Cooper took Elores Cooper’s mother from the home. As the group was leaving the home, Ruiz arrived on the scene.
Elores Cooper was arrested and faces a charge of grand theft motor vehicle.
- 10/15/18 Houston, TX – Man Crashes Into News Van – Tries To Carjack News Reporter And Cameraman – Houston Police Arrived – Steals Patrol Car – Dragged Police Officer – 16 Year Old Prisoner In Back Seat Released – Suspect Escaped
- 10/14/18 Panama City, FL – Hurricane Michael Looter Jumps Into Law Enforcement Vehicle – As He Is Stealing The Running Emergency Vehicle – He Is SHOT AND KILLED
- 10/12/18 Monticello, MN – Woman With Knife Partially Clothed – Jumps Into Wright County Deputy’s Car – Steals It – High Speed Pursuit – Stop Sticks – Bit State Trooper
- 10/9/18 San Jose, CA – Stolen San Jose Police Car – Chase – Multiple Accidents – Police Car Found Abandoned In Hayward
- 10/8/18 Arnold, MO – Man In Handcuffs Steals Arnold Police Car – Destroys Shed And 70 Foot Fence – Hits Civilian Vehicle And Hits Tree – Arrested
- 10/5/18 Fort Pierce, FL – 22 Year Old Man That Looked In Distress Jumps Into Police Car And Steals It – High Speed All The Way To Vero Beach – Gets Stuck And Captured
- 10/4/18 Orange County, FL – House Fire Call – Deputy Rescuing Fire Victims – Woman Steals His Orange County Patrol Car – This Is The Woman That Is Alleged To Have Started The House Fire – Woman Arrested Miles Away
- 10/2/18 Sacramento, CA – Handcuffed Man Steals Sacramento Probation Unmarked Explorer – Had Been Arrested For Felon In Possession Of A Firearm – Elementary Schools Lock Down – Massive Search
- 10/1/18 Apopka, FL – Man With Knife – Steals Truck – Smashes Into Orange County Deputy’s Patrol Car – Steals It – Chase – Smashes Into Several Other Civilian Cars – Injuries – Totaled Vehicles
- 9/28/18 Tomball, TX – Man Breaks Into Constable Deputy’s Patrol Car At His House – Caught In The Act Of Popping The Ignition – Unknown Intentions