10/31/18 West Carroll Parish, LA – Suspicious People Call – Man On Meth – Handcuffed – Steals West Carroll Deputy’s Patrol Car – 100 Chase – Crash – Fire Shotgun
October 31, 2018
A Bastrop man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly took a patrol car and later wrecked it.
Around 5:06 p.m. Monday, the West Carroll Sheriff’s Department received a call in reference to two suspicious people on Highway 588 near Copes Road west of Pioneer.
Pioneer police were also notified about the individuals and located them at a church. The pair were identified as Crystal Dawn Caffery and Donald Christopher Hale of Bastrop.
During the investigation, officers found a large amount of methamphetamine, alprazolam, and drug paraphernalia in the suspect’s possession.
According to the West Carroll Parish Sheriff’s Office, Hale was properly handcuffed and placed in the back seat of a West Carroll deputy’s vehicle.
While officers spoke with Caffery, Hale slipped his handcuffed arms from behind his back to the front of him and got into the front driver’s seat of the patrol unit.
Hale sped from the scene in the unit at speeds in excess of 100 mph. Pioneer Chief of Police began pursuit of Hale and the stolen vehicle.
Officers with the West Carroll Sheriff’s Department, Oak Grove Police Department, Forest Police Department, Epps Police Department, and Delhi Police Department responded to the pursuit.
Hale lost control on a gravel road near the Boeuf River and crashed the patrol unit. Investigators believe that Hale took possession of a police shotgun from within the unit and fired a shot through a window freeing him from the wreckage.
Hale was taken back into custody by responding officers immediately after exiting the vehicle. Investigators believed Hale to be under the influence of numerous drugs at the time of the incident.
A blood sample was taken from Hale and will be sent to the crime lab. The Louisiana State Police investigated the crash.
Caffery was arrested on charges of possession of schedule II with intent to distribute, possession of schedule IV, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Caffery’s bond is set at $28,000.
Hale is facing charges of possession of schedule II with intent to distribute, theft of a motor vehicle, aggravated assault, aggravated flight from an officer, aggravated escape, aggravated criminal damage to property and second offense operating a vehicle while intoxicated. Hale’s bond is set at $115,000.
This is still an active investigation and other charges are pending.
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/13/19 Eugene, OR – Police Officer Stopped Two Suspicious Men – One Man Ran Away – Officer Foot Chase – Second Man Steals His Patrol Car – Second Officer Fires His Weapon At Man In Stolen Patrol Car – Patrol Car Found Abandoned
- 03/13/19 Heavener, OK – Man Escapes From Jail In Missouri – Kidnaps Woman In Oklahoma – Police Catch Man Sleeping In Kidnapped Victim’s Vehicle – Man Steals Patrol Car In Handcuffs – May Have Hit Moving Train And Crashed – Escaped – Manhunt
- 03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
- 03/7/19 Forest Park, OH – 20 Year Old Woman In Lobby Of Police Station – Steals Running Patrol Car – She Is Chased Into Kentucky And Indiana – Spike Strips – Ran Into Ditch
- 03/6/19 Buffalo, NY – Police SUV Stolen From Officer – Hit Another Vehicle – One Person Injured – Hit House
- 03/3/19 San Luis Obispo County, CA – CHP Assists Disabled Pick Up With Small Children Inside – Man Steals CHP Patrol Car – SLO Deputies Assisted – Chase – Flattened Tires – Further Investigation Reveals Woman Found Murdered – Under Investigation – SLO Deputies Disarmed – Bean Bag Took Him Down – Arrested