10/31/18 West Carroll Parish, LA – Suspicious People Call – Man On Meth – Handcuffed – Steals West Carroll Deputy’s Patrol Car – 100 Chase – Crash – Fire Shotgun
October 31, 2018
A Bastrop man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly took a patrol car and later wrecked it.
Around 5:06 p.m. Monday, the West Carroll Sheriff’s Department received a call in reference to two suspicious people on Highway 588 near Copes Road west of Pioneer.
Pioneer police were also notified about the individuals and located them at a church. The pair were identified as Crystal Dawn Caffery and Donald Christopher Hale of Bastrop.
During the investigation, officers found a large amount of methamphetamine, alprazolam, and drug paraphernalia in the suspect’s possession.
According to the West Carroll Parish Sheriff’s Office, Hale was properly handcuffed and placed in the back seat of a West Carroll deputy’s vehicle.
While officers spoke with Caffery, Hale slipped his handcuffed arms from behind his back to the front of him and got into the front driver’s seat of the patrol unit.
Hale sped from the scene in the unit at speeds in excess of 100 mph. Pioneer Chief of Police began pursuit of Hale and the stolen vehicle.
Officers with the West Carroll Sheriff’s Department, Oak Grove Police Department, Forest Police Department, Epps Police Department, and Delhi Police Department responded to the pursuit.
Hale lost control on a gravel road near the Boeuf River and crashed the patrol unit. Investigators believe that Hale took possession of a police shotgun from within the unit and fired a shot through a window freeing him from the wreckage.
Hale was taken back into custody by responding officers immediately after exiting the vehicle. Investigators believed Hale to be under the influence of numerous drugs at the time of the incident.
A blood sample was taken from Hale and will be sent to the crime lab. The Louisiana State Police investigated the crash.
Caffery was arrested on charges of possession of schedule II with intent to distribute, possession of schedule IV, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Caffery’s bond is set at $28,000.
Hale is facing charges of possession of schedule II with intent to distribute, theft of a motor vehicle, aggravated assault, aggravated flight from an officer, aggravated escape, aggravated criminal damage to property and second offense operating a vehicle while intoxicated. Hale’s bond is set at $115,000.
This is still an active investigation and other charges are pending.
- 11/12/18 Lincoln County, WV – WEST VIRGINIA STATE POLICE Cruiser Stolen By Handcuffed Probation Violation Prisoner – All Night Search – Hours Later Found Abandoned
- 11/9/18 Marion, OH – Man Steals Marion County Sheriff’s Patrol Car While Deputy Was Serving A Warrant – Patrol Car Flipped Over And Totaled
- 11/6/18 Atoka, TN – Woman Steals Shelby County Sheriff’s Pick Up – Drives To Arkansas – Gets In Head On Accident And Killed
- 11/3/18 Mishawaka, IN – Suspect Steals Mishawaka Marked Patrol Car From Police Station – Patrol Car Found Abandoned Off Road – Suspect Escaped
- 11/3/18 Birmingham, Al – Officers Observed Erratic Driver – Chase – Suspect Bails Out – Runs – Circles Back – Steals Birmingham Police Patrol Car – Second Chase – Suspect Bails – Escaped
- 11/2/18 Hendersonville, NC – On Patrol – Officer Saw Man Jumping On A Van – Man Runs At Officer Yelling Incoherently – Jumps Into Hendersonville Patrol Car And Steals It – Patrol Car Found Wrecked – Arrested
- 10/31/18 West Carroll Parish, LA – Suspicious People Call – Man On Meth – Handcuffed – Steals West Carroll Deputy’s Patrol Car – 100 Chase – Crash – Fire Shotgun
- 10/30/18 Orange, MA – Man Carjacks In NH – Chase To VT And Into MA – State Trooper Boxed Him In – Suspect Attacks Trooper – Stabs Him Multiple Times – Other Police Officer Shoots Him Trying To Steal His Cruiser – Tremco Saved This Police Cruiser
- 10/25/18 California – CHP Flat Tire Call Finds Man With Meth – Arrested And Put In Handcuffs – Steals CHP Patrol Car – Ditched It – Found 12 Hours Later After Massive Search
- 10/22/18 Hartland, ME – NH Man Takes His Clothes Off While Attempting To Steal Vehicles – A Deputy Of Somerset County Sheriff’s Fought With Him – He Jumps Into His Police Cruiser And Tries To Steal It – Civilian Ride Along Stops Him