10/31/18 West Carroll Parish, LA – Suspicious People Call – Man On Meth – Handcuffed – Steals West Carroll Deputy’s Patrol Car – 100 Chase – Crash – Fire Shotgun
October 31, 2018
A Bastrop man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly took a patrol car and later wrecked it.
Around 5:06 p.m. Monday, the West Carroll Sheriff’s Department received a call in reference to two suspicious people on Highway 588 near Copes Road west of Pioneer.
Pioneer police were also notified about the individuals and located them at a church. The pair were identified as Crystal Dawn Caffery and Donald Christopher Hale of Bastrop.
During the investigation, officers found a large amount of methamphetamine, alprazolam, and drug paraphernalia in the suspect’s possession.
According to the West Carroll Parish Sheriff’s Office, Hale was properly handcuffed and placed in the back seat of a West Carroll deputy’s vehicle.
While officers spoke with Caffery, Hale slipped his handcuffed arms from behind his back to the front of him and got into the front driver’s seat of the patrol unit.
Hale sped from the scene in the unit at speeds in excess of 100 mph. Pioneer Chief of Police began pursuit of Hale and the stolen vehicle.
Officers with the West Carroll Sheriff’s Department, Oak Grove Police Department, Forest Police Department, Epps Police Department, and Delhi Police Department responded to the pursuit.
Hale lost control on a gravel road near the Boeuf River and crashed the patrol unit. Investigators believe that Hale took possession of a police shotgun from within the unit and fired a shot through a window freeing him from the wreckage.
Hale was taken back into custody by responding officers immediately after exiting the vehicle. Investigators believed Hale to be under the influence of numerous drugs at the time of the incident.
A blood sample was taken from Hale and will be sent to the crime lab. The Louisiana State Police investigated the crash.
Caffery was arrested on charges of possession of schedule II with intent to distribute, possession of schedule IV, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Caffery’s bond is set at $28,000.
Hale is facing charges of possession of schedule II with intent to distribute, theft of a motor vehicle, aggravated assault, aggravated flight from an officer, aggravated escape, aggravated criminal damage to property and second offense operating a vehicle while intoxicated. Hale’s bond is set at $115,000.
This is still an active investigation and other charges are pending.
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested