10/31/18 West Carroll Parish, LA – Suspicious People Call – Man On Meth – Handcuffed – Steals West Carroll Deputy’s Patrol Car – 100 Chase – Crash – Fire Shotgun
October 31, 2018
A Bastrop man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly took a patrol car and later wrecked it.
Around 5:06 p.m. Monday, the West Carroll Sheriff’s Department received a call in reference to two suspicious people on Highway 588 near Copes Road west of Pioneer.
Pioneer police were also notified about the individuals and located them at a church. The pair were identified as Crystal Dawn Caffery and Donald Christopher Hale of Bastrop.
During the investigation, officers found a large amount of methamphetamine, alprazolam, and drug paraphernalia in the suspect’s possession.
According to the West Carroll Parish Sheriff’s Office, Hale was properly handcuffed and placed in the back seat of a West Carroll deputy’s vehicle.
While officers spoke with Caffery, Hale slipped his handcuffed arms from behind his back to the front of him and got into the front driver’s seat of the patrol unit.
Hale sped from the scene in the unit at speeds in excess of 100 mph. Pioneer Chief of Police began pursuit of Hale and the stolen vehicle.
Officers with the West Carroll Sheriff’s Department, Oak Grove Police Department, Forest Police Department, Epps Police Department, and Delhi Police Department responded to the pursuit.
Hale lost control on a gravel road near the Boeuf River and crashed the patrol unit. Investigators believe that Hale took possession of a police shotgun from within the unit and fired a shot through a window freeing him from the wreckage.
Hale was taken back into custody by responding officers immediately after exiting the vehicle. Investigators believed Hale to be under the influence of numerous drugs at the time of the incident.
A blood sample was taken from Hale and will be sent to the crime lab. The Louisiana State Police investigated the crash.
Caffery was arrested on charges of possession of schedule II with intent to distribute, possession of schedule IV, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Caffery’s bond is set at $28,000.
Hale is facing charges of possession of schedule II with intent to distribute, theft of a motor vehicle, aggravated assault, aggravated flight from an officer, aggravated escape, aggravated criminal damage to property and second offense operating a vehicle while intoxicated. Hale’s bond is set at $115,000.
This is still an active investigation and other charges are pending.
- 08/15/19 St. John’s County, FL – Wanted Felon In Accident – Combative – Steals Off Duty Lt. Unmarked – High Speed Chase – Pit Maneuver – Multiple Police Vehicles Crashed
- 08/15/19 Durham, CAN – 40 Year Old Man Chase In A Van – Foot Chase – Pushes Officer Into A Ditch And Tries To Steal His Marked Patrol Car – Captured
- 08/14/19 Milford, DE – 3 Juveniles Arrested After Stealing 5 Dodge Charger Police Cars – 2 Durangos And A Dodge Ram – State Police Pursuit Of Police Charger That Crashed Into A Tree – All 3 Arrested
- 08/13/19 Montebello, CA – Patrol Car Stolen From Police Station Found 1 Month Later – Totaled Over Embankment – Stolen Weapons – Police Equipment – 3 Arrested Had Weapons And Equipment
- 08/12/19 Coral Gables, FL – Police Cruiser Stolen From Officer’s Home – Rear Window Smashed – Abandoned
- 08/9/19 Charleston, WV – Man Harassing People In Emergency Room – Handcuffed And Placed Into Police Cruiser – Jumps Into Driver’s Seat And Tries To Steal It – Fights With Officers – Officers Saved The Vehicle
- 08/6/19 Montgomery County, OH – Passed Out Man In Pick Up Call – Man Steals Deputy’s Marked Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Crashed Into Vehicles – Spike Strips – Captured
- 08/5/19 California – Marked CHP SUV Stolen After Foot Chase – Excess Of 100 MPH Chase – 3 County Pursuit – Four Car Crash – Hijacked Civilian Vehicles – Captured
- 08/2/19 Kent, WA – Woman Steals Kent Marked Tahoe – Half Hour Chase – Multiple Accidents – Many Patrol Cars Damaged
- 08/1/19 Santa Rosa, CA – Man Tried To Stab A Rosa Plaza Security Officer – Before Jumping Into A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Marked Unit – Deputy Shoots Suspect 3 Times Trying To Steal It