10/14/18 Panama City, FL – Hurricane Michael Looter Jumps Into Law Enforcement Vehicle – As He Is Stealing The Running Emergency Vehicle – He Is SHOT AND KILLED
October 14, 2018
A looter was shot and killed by authorities in hurricane-ravaged Panama City, according to the local CNN affiliate in the area.
WEAR reports the shooting happened near the Tidewater Estates and Dune Creek area in the days following Hurricane Michael. A witness told them the man who was shot was trying to steal a law enforcement vehicle.
“He yelled at me a little bit and said, ‘Oh, I’m looting.’ And he opened the door to the police officer’s SUV with the lights going. Got in it, shut the door,” Landon Swett said.
Swett told WEAR he saw the officer at the passenger side of the vehicle and then heard a shot fired as he ran inside with his family.
A lieutenant with the Florida Highway Patrol said Florida State Fire Marshals were the authorities involved in the shooting. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement confirmed to WEAR that they are investigating the incident.
David Collier, a battalion chief for the Panama City Fire Department, told CNN there have been sporadic reports of looting throughout the city, mainly at night.
“I know PCPD, local law enforcement and outside agencies are trying to come in and minimize the impact of that,” he said. “I know the county has in place a curfew. Everybody needs to be off the roads as much as possible from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.”
As people in the area start to get desperate, some survivors say they aren’t taking any chances.
“This hit so hard and so fast that the different aspect of human nature is going to come out and people are going to do anything to survive,” Christopher Donahue told WEAR.
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested