10/14/18 Panama City, FL – Hurricane Michael Looter Jumps Into Law Enforcement Vehicle – As He Is Stealing The Running Emergency Vehicle – He Is SHOT AND KILLED
October 14, 2018
A looter was shot and killed by authorities in hurricane-ravaged Panama City, according to the local CNN affiliate in the area.
WEAR reports the shooting happened near the Tidewater Estates and Dune Creek area in the days following Hurricane Michael. A witness told them the man who was shot was trying to steal a law enforcement vehicle.
“He yelled at me a little bit and said, ‘Oh, I’m looting.’ And he opened the door to the police officer’s SUV with the lights going. Got in it, shut the door,” Landon Swett said.
Swett told WEAR he saw the officer at the passenger side of the vehicle and then heard a shot fired as he ran inside with his family.
A lieutenant with the Florida Highway Patrol said Florida State Fire Marshals were the authorities involved in the shooting. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement confirmed to WEAR that they are investigating the incident.
David Collier, a battalion chief for the Panama City Fire Department, told CNN there have been sporadic reports of looting throughout the city, mainly at night.
“I know PCPD, local law enforcement and outside agencies are trying to come in and minimize the impact of that,” he said. “I know the county has in place a curfew. Everybody needs to be off the roads as much as possible from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.”
As people in the area start to get desperate, some survivors say they aren’t taking any chances.
“This hit so hard and so fast that the different aspect of human nature is going to come out and people are going to do anything to survive,” Christopher Donahue told WEAR.
- 01/19/19 Eureka, CA – Homeless Man Just Released From Jail Jumps Into Police Car To Steal It – Eureka Police Officer Pulls Him Out Of The Patrol Car – The Suspect Got The Shifter Into Neutral – While The Suspect Was Being Arrested The Patrol Car Rolled Over His Legs – Injured – To Hospital
- 01/19/19 Canton, OH – Man On Parole Steals On-Duty Marked Patrol Car By Smashing Window When Stopped – Identified Himself As A Police Officer – Had The Police Officer’s Identification – Struggle – Arrested
- 01/16/19 Atlanta, GA – Man Tries To Steal Atlanta Police Unmarked Police Car At Gas Station While Officer Was Filling Up – Mayor Protection Unit – Officer SHOOTS AND KILLS HIM
- 01/14/19 Elkton, MD – Crash Scene – Drunk Driver In Handcuffs Steals Police Car And Hits Fire Truck – Police Chase Into Delaware – Crashed Into Tree – Arrested Again
- 01/08/19 Spencer, OK Handcuffed man steals spencer Police Cruiser and drives away – Escaped
- 01/6/19 Morrow County, OH – Crashed Stolen Pick Up – Distressed Woman In Underwear Runs Away And Back – Steals Morrow Deputy’s Patrol Car – Chase – Crash Into Tree – Apprehended
- 01/06/19 Carrol County, SC Two inmates escape a work detail in a government stolen car found in Patrick County SC. Inmates on the run escaped.
- 01/3/19 Conroe, TX – Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Is Searching For A Stolen Prairie View Unmarked Tahoe Police Vehicle
- 01/2/19 Orangeburg, SC – St. Matthews Man In Orangeburg Stopped Driving Stolen Columbia Airport Metro Police Department Vehicle – When Deputies Searched The Vehicle They Found White Powder – 9 mm Firearm – Digital Scales
- 1/1/19 Grand Rapids, MI – Early New Years Day – Call For A Fight With A Person With A Gun – A Woman Ran From The House And Stole A Grand Rapids Patrol Car – Drove Over Sidewalks – Ran Away – K9 Got Her