05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
A man who witnessed a deadly car crash on Interstate 29 Monday said he watched the stolen police vehicle driving at high rates of speed just moments before veering into the path of an oncoming truck.
Isaac Dahl told the Herald he was driving home from work on Interstate 29 going northbound when he saw a police car sitting in the ditch, facing west.
“Then he tore out of the ditch like a bat out of hell. He just floored it. There was rocks and grass and debris all over the place,” Dahl said, adding he felt the driving was not typical for an officer.
He then saw the vehicle driving northbound at an extremely high rate of speed. Dahl said he thought the driver may have been losing control of the vehicle. Dahl said he slowed considerably to give the vehicle room.
A short time later Dahl said he saw a semi truck on the other side of the interstate and watched the police car head straight for the semi.
“He made a bee-line straight toward it,” Dahl said. “He just shot … straight at it and hit it.”
Dahl said he then saw debris falling all over the road.
The man who was driving the police car died in the crash.
The man, whose name has not been released, allegedly stole the Grand Forks Police car following a fight with officers, Grand Forks Police Lt. Derik Zimmel said.
Police made a welfare check in south Grand Forks around 5:05 p.m. Monday, Zimmel said. During the welfare check it was discovered there was an active warrant for the man’s arrest. When police attempted to arrest the man, the suspect began to fight and tried to take an officer’s weapon, according to police reports. The suspect then stole the vehicle and drove onto Interstate 29 going northbound. Soon thereafter, he veered into the southbound lane, colliding with the semi on the interstate near the Alerus Center. He died at the scene.
Zimmel said the truck driver is OK, but “shaken up.”
The crash remains under investigation. The interstate was closed for part of the evening. As of 10 p.m. police said all lanes have been reopened.
Dahl took video showing the aftermath of the crash. He said he was surprised to see the semi truck driver get out of his vehicle right after the crash.
Another video of the vehicle theft began circulating online shortly after the crash Monday evening. The video shows at least two police cars in the parking lot of the Town and Country Shopping Center on South Washington Street. In the video, a man runs into the frame and gets into the vehicle as an officer attempts to stop him. The man then drives away in the vehicle and out of the parking lot.
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested