04/9/19 Oakdale, MN – Man Assaults Girlfriend With Motor Vehicle – Steals Marked Patrol Car – 75 MPH – Dangerous – Taunting On The Police Radio – Pit Maneuver Stop – Suicide By Cop Gestures With Cell Phone – Captured
The marked Oakdale squad car stolen Monday by a suicidal assault suspect held two long guns as the man raced around the east metro suburb trying to evade officers, according to criminal charges.
Carter J. Favors Jr., 21, of Eagan, was charged Tuesday in Washington County District Court with assault with a motor vehicle, auto theft, interference with emergency communication and fleeing police in connection with the incident that started late Monday morning in Richard Walton Park and was first detected by a police officer looking out a headquarters window.
Favors spotted an unoccupied and unlocked marked squad car — keys in the ignition — and got behind the wheel, according to the charges. Inside were two guns: a 12-gauge shotgun and a .556-caliber rifle.
Michelle Stark, an Oakdale officer who acts as her department’s spokeswoman and was among those in pursuit of Flowers, said the guns remained locked the entire time he was in the squad car but declined to say whether he could have freed them and armed himself.
Favors remains jailed and has yet to secure an attorney.
According to the criminal complaint:
Favors’ assault victim, his 30-year-old girlfriend, told police that he “was talking about killing himself and suicide by cop,” the charges read.
He drove to the park, ordered her out of the car and aimed the vehicle toward her, sending her fleeing for her life into a playground occupied by several children. The officer ran to the playground while calling for additional officers to join him.
Favors continued driving in the park “in a reckless manner off-road” as officers, one in a marked squad car with emergency lights flashing and siren blaring, pursued, the complaint read.
Favors drove out of the park, sped north on Hadley Avenue and crashed through a wooden fence in the 6900 block of N. 27th Street. Favors climbed atop the car holding a large piece of lumber from the fence before running from officers and carrying a cellphone as if it were a gun, at the same time urging police to shoot him.
He got in the squad car, ran a stop sign, reached 75 miles per hour on Geneva Avenue and nearly hit a motorcyclist. All the while, he was on the squad radio and was “taunting officers and yelling … disrupting other officers trying to communicate regarding the pursuit,” the complaint read.
About 10 minutes into the pursuit, a Woodbury police squad car strategically bumped the stolen squad car and brought it to a halt in the 6500 block of N. 15th Street in Oakdale.
Favors ran to a city public works truck, jumped in and clutched the steering wheel with one hand while trying to put the vehicle in gear with the other. He was apprehended in the truck, with the help of a shot from a stun gun, as he repeated his wish for police to shoot him.
- 06/17/19 Tyndall, SD – Two Vehicle Accident – Four Passengers Given Comfort Sitting In Patrol Car – The Four Stole The Tyndall Patrol Car – Long 40 Mile Pursuit – 100 MPH According To Bon Homme Sheriff’s Office – Patrol Car Ran Out Of Gas – One Woman Captured – Three Escaped
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured
- 05/30/19 Kosciusko County, IN – 16 Year Old Runaway That Removed Her Ankle Bracelet After Crashing A Hyundai – In Handcuffs – Steals Sheriff’s Patrol Vehicle – Crashes Into Building – Breaks Into House – Multiple Charges – Meth Arrest
- 05/28/19 Sour Lake, TX – Man In Convenience Store Severely Beat To Critical Condition A Sour Lake Police Officer – He Stole His Police Car And It Was Found Abandoned On The Highway – Massive Search And Captured
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car