03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
A Waco man was arrested Tuesday after a wild 20-mile chase in which he stole an unmarked police car, threatened a resident with an ax, then wrecked a second stolen car.
Woodway police arrested Christopher Raymond Sorel, 32, after he led several agencies on a chase that began in Waco and wound through Woodway, Speegleville and China Spring, ending in Bosqueville, where Sorel crashed.
The police chase began Tuesday afternoon when police were notified that an unmarked Waco police commander’s Dodge Charger was taken from a car wash business in the 1900 block of North Valley Mills Drive, Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said. The suspect took the car and drove it to the 1500 block of Rambler Drive, where he turned on the flashing lights and stopped a resident, police said.
The suspect then got out of a car wielding an ax and wearing a paintball mask and began to threaten the resident, who quickly fled, Swanton said. The suspect then got back in the police car and kept going.
Woodway Public Safety Director Bret Crook said Woodway police joined the search for the stolen police car. The suspect, identified as Sorel, turned on the police lights and ran from pursuing officers until he crashed the police car near McLaughlin Road and Highway 6.
“He left us in the pursuit, because we couldn’t keep up with him in the Dodge, so when he wrecked, we weren’t near him,” Crook said.
Shortly after the crash, Sorel got out of the car and ran on foot. He found a white Chevrolet Blazer in the 200 block of Antler Road and stole it, Swanton said.
As the McLennan County Sheriff’s Office and Texas Department of Public Safety joined the pursuit, Sorel drove back into Waco, continued through China Spring and crashed near the intersection of Flat Rock Road and Pioneer Parkway.
Crook said Woodway police spotted the crashed SUV and found Sorel running away from the vehicle. Officers were able to arrest Sorel, who continued to fight with officers during his apprehension.
Waco police Sgt. Chad Ashworth said the man continued to be aggressive with emergency medical personnel, who were treating him for minor injuries. Crook said Sorel was taken to a local hospital to be evaluated before he was taken to McLennan County Jail.
Ashworth said the entire pursuit likely spanned about 20 miles. He said no motorists or other subjects were injured during the pursuit.
According to jail records, Waco police charged Sorel with state jail felony theft, second-degree felony aggravated assault, third-degree felony impersonating a public servant and Class B misdemeanor criminal mischief; the sheriff’s office charged him with state jail felony unauthorized use of a vehicle; and Woodway police charged him with third-degree felony evading in a vehicle, Class A misdemeanor evading on foot, third-degree felony assault of a public servant and third-degree felony impersonating a public servant.
Bond information was not immediately available Tuesday night.
- 06/17/19 Tyndall, SD – Two Vehicle Accident – Four Passengers Given Comfort Sitting In Patrol Car – The Four Stole The Tyndall Patrol Car – Long 40 Mile Pursuit – 100 MPH According To Bon Homme Sheriff’s Office – Patrol Car Ran Out Of Gas – One Woman Captured – Three Escaped
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured
- 05/30/19 Kosciusko County, IN – 16 Year Old Runaway That Removed Her Ankle Bracelet After Crashing A Hyundai – In Handcuffs – Steals Sheriff’s Patrol Vehicle – Crashes Into Building – Breaks Into House – Multiple Charges – Meth Arrest
- 05/28/19 Sour Lake, TX – Man In Convenience Store Severely Beat To Critical Condition A Sour Lake Police Officer – He Stole His Police Car And It Was Found Abandoned On The Highway – Massive Search And Captured
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car