03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
A Waco man was arrested Tuesday after a wild 20-mile chase in which he stole an unmarked police car, threatened a resident with an ax, then wrecked a second stolen car.
Woodway police arrested Christopher Raymond Sorel, 32, after he led several agencies on a chase that began in Waco and wound through Woodway, Speegleville and China Spring, ending in Bosqueville, where Sorel crashed.
The police chase began Tuesday afternoon when police were notified that an unmarked Waco police commander’s Dodge Charger was taken from a car wash business in the 1900 block of North Valley Mills Drive, Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said. The suspect took the car and drove it to the 1500 block of Rambler Drive, where he turned on the flashing lights and stopped a resident, police said.
The suspect then got out of a car wielding an ax and wearing a paintball mask and began to threaten the resident, who quickly fled, Swanton said. The suspect then got back in the police car and kept going.
Woodway Public Safety Director Bret Crook said Woodway police joined the search for the stolen police car. The suspect, identified as Sorel, turned on the police lights and ran from pursuing officers until he crashed the police car near McLaughlin Road and Highway 6.
“He left us in the pursuit, because we couldn’t keep up with him in the Dodge, so when he wrecked, we weren’t near him,” Crook said.
Shortly after the crash, Sorel got out of the car and ran on foot. He found a white Chevrolet Blazer in the 200 block of Antler Road and stole it, Swanton said.
As the McLennan County Sheriff’s Office and Texas Department of Public Safety joined the pursuit, Sorel drove back into Waco, continued through China Spring and crashed near the intersection of Flat Rock Road and Pioneer Parkway.
Crook said Woodway police spotted the crashed SUV and found Sorel running away from the vehicle. Officers were able to arrest Sorel, who continued to fight with officers during his apprehension.
Waco police Sgt. Chad Ashworth said the man continued to be aggressive with emergency medical personnel, who were treating him for minor injuries. Crook said Sorel was taken to a local hospital to be evaluated before he was taken to McLennan County Jail.
Ashworth said the entire pursuit likely spanned about 20 miles. He said no motorists or other subjects were injured during the pursuit.
According to jail records, Waco police charged Sorel with state jail felony theft, second-degree felony aggravated assault, third-degree felony impersonating a public servant and Class B misdemeanor criminal mischief; the sheriff’s office charged him with state jail felony unauthorized use of a vehicle; and Woodway police charged him with third-degree felony evading in a vehicle, Class A misdemeanor evading on foot, third-degree felony assault of a public servant and third-degree felony impersonating a public servant.
Bond information was not immediately available Tuesday night.
- 04/9/19 Oakdale, MN – Man Assaults Girlfriend With Motor Vehicle – Steals Marked Patrol Car – 75 MPH – Dangerous – Taunting On The Police Radio – Pit Maneuver Stop – Suicide By Cop Gestures With Cell Phone – Captured
- 04/5/19 Nashville, TN – Female Burglary Suspect Steals Metro Police Cruiser – Chase – Spike Strips – Damage
- 04/3/19 Albany, GA – Cordele Police Unmarked Explorer Stolen From Albany – BOLO – Has Lights And Sirens – No Weapons
- 04/2/19 Utica, MI – High Speed Chase Through Multiple Cities – Two Suspects Bail Out Of Vehicle – Police Run After Them On Foot – Third Suspect Bails Out Of Vehicle And Steals Sterling Heights Police Cruiser – Crash – Three Arrests
- 03/29/19 Harden County, TN – Inmate On Way To Methadone Clinic Slipped Out Of Her Handcuffs – Grabbed The Patrol Car Keys – Stole The Patrol Car – The Officer Was Dragged And Injured – Inmate Later Captured
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/14/19 Louisville, KY – Three Juveniles Stole a Louisville Metro PD Unmarked Police Car – AR15 And Remington Shotgun Taken Out Of Stolen Vehicle – An Adult Also Arrested