03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
On March 11, 2019, Deputy Shelko responded to the 41500 block of Fenwick Street in Leonardtown for the reported hit and run vehicle collision.
Investigation determined the victim made contact with Doug Delahay Woodburn, age 18 of Leonardtown, in a parking lot. The victim was standing at the driver’s side window of Woodburn’s vehicle attempting to speak with him when Woodburn backed his vehicle into the victim’s vehicle, causing damage to the victim’s vehicle.
Woodburn then fled the scene. Shortly after the collision, Woodburn was observed operating his vehicle on St. Andrew’s Church Road. Deputies attempted to conduct a vehicle stop however Woodburn accelerated and turned onto a commercial driveway in the 42700 block of St. Andrew’s Church Road.
Woodburn continued on at a high rate of speed, crashing through a closed gate, destroying the gate. Woodburn then changed direction and proceeded back onto St. Andrew’s Church Road. A short time later, a citizen reported a vehicle disabled in a ditch on Fairgrounds Road.
Deputies responded to the disabled vehicle, and recognized it to be Woodburn’s vehicle. Woodburn was observed hiding in the woods, and was pursued by deputies on foot. While deputies were searching for Woodburn, a citizen reported an individual on foot matching Woodburn’s description had attempted to gain access to one of the marked police vehicles on scene. After not being able to access the locked police vehicle, the individual fled the area and ran back into the woods.
Woodburn was ultimately located in the backyard of a residence in the area and was arrested. Woodburn was charged with the following:
- Attempted Motor Vehicle/Unlawful Taking
- Malicious Destruction of Property
- Attempt by Driver to Elude Police in Official Police Vehicle by Failing to Stop
- Failure to Stop After Accident Involving Damage to Attended Vehicle
- 08/15/19 St. John’s County, FL – Wanted Felon In Accident – Combative – Steals Off Duty Lt. Unmarked – High Speed Chase – Pit Maneuver – Multiple Police Vehicles Crashed
- 08/15/19 Durham, CAN – 40 Year Old Man Chase In A Van – Foot Chase – Pushes Officer Into A Ditch And Tries To Steal His Marked Patrol Car – Captured
- 08/14/19 Milford, DE – 3 Juveniles Arrested After Stealing 5 Dodge Charger Police Cars – 2 Durangos And A Dodge Ram – State Police Pursuit Of Police Charger That Crashed Into A Tree – All 3 Arrested
- 08/13/19 Montebello, CA – Patrol Car Stolen From Police Station Found 1 Month Later – Totaled Over Embankment – Stolen Weapons – Police Equipment – 3 Arrested Had Weapons And Equipment
- 08/12/19 Coral Gables, FL – Police Cruiser Stolen From Officer’s Home – Rear Window Smashed – Abandoned
- 08/9/19 Charleston, WV – Man Harassing People In Emergency Room – Handcuffed And Placed Into Police Cruiser – Jumps Into Driver’s Seat And Tries To Steal It – Fights With Officers – Officers Saved The Vehicle
- 08/6/19 Montgomery County, OH – Passed Out Man In Pick Up Call – Man Steals Deputy’s Marked Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Crashed Into Vehicles – Spike Strips – Captured
- 08/5/19 California – Marked CHP SUV Stolen After Foot Chase – Excess Of 100 MPH Chase – 3 County Pursuit – Four Car Crash – Hijacked Civilian Vehicles – Captured
- 08/2/19 Kent, WA – Woman Steals Kent Marked Tahoe – Half Hour Chase – Multiple Accidents – Many Patrol Cars Damaged
- 08/1/19 Santa Rosa, CA – Man Tried To Stab A Rosa Plaza Security Officer – Before Jumping Into A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Marked Unit – Deputy Shoots Suspect 3 Times Trying To Steal It