03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
On March 11, 2019, Deputy Shelko responded to the 41500 block of Fenwick Street in Leonardtown for the reported hit and run vehicle collision.
Investigation determined the victim made contact with Doug Delahay Woodburn, age 18 of Leonardtown, in a parking lot. The victim was standing at the driver’s side window of Woodburn’s vehicle attempting to speak with him when Woodburn backed his vehicle into the victim’s vehicle, causing damage to the victim’s vehicle.
Woodburn then fled the scene. Shortly after the collision, Woodburn was observed operating his vehicle on St. Andrew’s Church Road. Deputies attempted to conduct a vehicle stop however Woodburn accelerated and turned onto a commercial driveway in the 42700 block of St. Andrew’s Church Road.
Woodburn continued on at a high rate of speed, crashing through a closed gate, destroying the gate. Woodburn then changed direction and proceeded back onto St. Andrew’s Church Road. A short time later, a citizen reported a vehicle disabled in a ditch on Fairgrounds Road.
Deputies responded to the disabled vehicle, and recognized it to be Woodburn’s vehicle. Woodburn was observed hiding in the woods, and was pursued by deputies on foot. While deputies were searching for Woodburn, a citizen reported an individual on foot matching Woodburn’s description had attempted to gain access to one of the marked police vehicles on scene. After not being able to access the locked police vehicle, the individual fled the area and ran back into the woods.
Woodburn was ultimately located in the backyard of a residence in the area and was arrested. Woodburn was charged with the following:
- Attempted Motor Vehicle/Unlawful Taking
- Malicious Destruction of Property
- Attempt by Driver to Elude Police in Official Police Vehicle by Failing to Stop
- Failure to Stop After Accident Involving Damage to Attended Vehicle
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested