02/4/19 Asheboro, NC – Randolph County Sheriff’s Officer Had A Family Member Steal A Patrol Car From The Home Of The Assigned Member – The Sheriff’s Officer Member Was Away At The Time – Totaled Patrol Car – 17 Year Old Arrested
A patrol car belonging to the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office (RCSO) was stolen and wrecked Sunday, according to authorities.
A press release from Asheboro Police reported that the patrol car was wrecked and abandoned on New Bern Avenue at the intersection of North Hampton.
An investigation revealed that the vehicle was stolen from an RCSO employee’s house by a family member while the employee was out of town. The suspect found the spare key to the patrol car hidden in the house and drove it without the employee’s knowledge, the report stated.
The employee identified the suspect as Jaylen Trevone Portis, 17, of 1113 Chapel Gate Lane, Asheboro.
Portis was charged with felony larceny of a motor vehicle, felony possession of a stolen motor vehicle, reckless driving to endanger, hit/run, failure to stop/property damage, no operator’s license and injury to personal property.
An accident report from the Asheboro Police Department stated that Portis was traveling at an excessive speed — up 100 mph. The vehicle appeared to have gone airborne across New Bern Avenue, landing on the shoulder and striking a tree. The driver was then seen running from the scene.
The car is a total loss, according to the sheriff’s office.
Portis was later located on Worth Street in Asheboro and arrested.
He was taken to the hospital by deputies, treated and medically released.
Portis is currently being held at the Chatham County Jail under an $8,000 secured bond.
He was scheduled to appear in Randolph County District Court on Monday.
- 02/17/19 Chapmanville, WV – DUI Suspect In Handcuffs Steals Police Cruiser – Hits 3 Civilian Vehicles And A Second Police Cruiser – Arrested
- 02/15/19 Rochelle Park, NJ – Burglary Suspect Caught By Residents On Second Floor – Jumps From Roof To Get Away – Jumps Into Police Car When He Thought It Was The Lyft That He Called – Arrested For Attempted Theft
- 02/10/19 Colorado Springs, CO – Suspicious Person Call – Man Jumps Into Marked Cruiser – High Speed – Rolls Marked Cruiser Several Times – Shutdown Highway For Hours
- 02/8/19 Columbus, OH – Overdose Call – Police Revive Man With Narcan – He Was Given CPR By Bystanders First – He Jumps In And Steals Their Police Cruiser – Escaped – Abandoned Cruiser
- 02/8/19 Turlock, CA – Parolee Enters Secure Area Of Police Station – Is Found Attempting To Steal Patrol Car – Captured
- 02/7/19 Chattanooga, TN – Man Fights With Police Officer – Steals Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Gets Stuck In Mud – Police Had To Break Window – Handgun And Meth Found On Him
- 02/5/19 Corpus Christi, TX – Lengthy Pursuit – In Custody Suspect Steals Patrol Car – Slams Into Innocent Woman’s Vehicle with Three Juveniles – Five Taken To Hospital
- 02/4/19 Asheboro, NC – Randolph County Sheriff’s Officer Had A Family Member Steal A Patrol Car From The Home Of The Assigned Member – The Sheriff’s Officer Member Was Away At The Time – Totaled Patrol Car – 17 Year Old Arrested
- 02/3/19 Detroit, MI – Marked Dodge Charger Stolen While Officer Left It Running – Suspect Arrested Under The Influence
- 02/1/19 Kansas City, KS – Traffic Stop – Suspect Steals Marked Police Cruiser – Pursuit – Crash Into Ravine – Suspect Escapes – Tries To Climb In Taco Bell Drive Up Window – Arrested