02/4/19 Asheboro, NC – Randolph County Sheriff’s Officer Had A Family Member Steal A Patrol Car From The Home Of The Assigned Member – The Sheriff’s Officer Member Was Away At The Time – Totaled Patrol Car – 17 Year Old Arrested
A patrol car belonging to the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office (RCSO) was stolen and wrecked Sunday, according to authorities.
A press release from Asheboro Police reported that the patrol car was wrecked and abandoned on New Bern Avenue at the intersection of North Hampton.
An investigation revealed that the vehicle was stolen from an RCSO employee’s house by a family member while the employee was out of town. The suspect found the spare key to the patrol car hidden in the house and drove it without the employee’s knowledge, the report stated.
The employee identified the suspect as Jaylen Trevone Portis, 17, of 1113 Chapel Gate Lane, Asheboro.
Portis was charged with felony larceny of a motor vehicle, felony possession of a stolen motor vehicle, reckless driving to endanger, hit/run, failure to stop/property damage, no operator’s license and injury to personal property.
An accident report from the Asheboro Police Department stated that Portis was traveling at an excessive speed — up 100 mph. The vehicle appeared to have gone airborne across New Bern Avenue, landing on the shoulder and striking a tree. The driver was then seen running from the scene.
The car is a total loss, according to the sheriff’s office.
Portis was later located on Worth Street in Asheboro and arrested.
He was taken to the hospital by deputies, treated and medically released.
Portis is currently being held at the Chatham County Jail under an $8,000 secured bond.
He was scheduled to appear in Randolph County District Court on Monday.
- 08/15/19 St. John’s County, FL – Wanted Felon In Accident – Combative – Steals Off Duty Lt. Unmarked – High Speed Chase – Pit Maneuver – Multiple Police Vehicles Crashed
- 08/15/19 Durham, CAN – 40 Year Old Man Chase In A Van – Foot Chase – Pushes Officer Into A Ditch And Tries To Steal His Marked Patrol Car – Captured
- 08/14/19 Milford, DE – 3 Juveniles Arrested After Stealing 5 Dodge Charger Police Cars – 2 Durangos And A Dodge Ram – State Police Pursuit Of Police Charger That Crashed Into A Tree – All 3 Arrested
- 08/13/19 Montebello, CA – Patrol Car Stolen From Police Station Found 1 Month Later – Totaled Over Embankment – Stolen Weapons – Police Equipment – 3 Arrested Had Weapons And Equipment
- 08/12/19 Coral Gables, FL – Police Cruiser Stolen From Officer’s Home – Rear Window Smashed – Abandoned
- 08/9/19 Charleston, WV – Man Harassing People In Emergency Room – Handcuffed And Placed Into Police Cruiser – Jumps Into Driver’s Seat And Tries To Steal It – Fights With Officers – Officers Saved The Vehicle
- 08/6/19 Montgomery County, OH – Passed Out Man In Pick Up Call – Man Steals Deputy’s Marked Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Crashed Into Vehicles – Spike Strips – Captured
- 08/5/19 California – Marked CHP SUV Stolen After Foot Chase – Excess Of 100 MPH Chase – 3 County Pursuit – Four Car Crash – Hijacked Civilian Vehicles – Captured
- 08/2/19 Kent, WA – Woman Steals Kent Marked Tahoe – Half Hour Chase – Multiple Accidents – Many Patrol Cars Damaged
- 08/1/19 Santa Rosa, CA – Man Tried To Stab A Rosa Plaza Security Officer – Before Jumping Into A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Marked Unit – Deputy Shoots Suspect 3 Times Trying To Steal It