02/4/19 Asheboro, NC – Randolph County Sheriff’s Officer Had A Family Member Steal A Patrol Car From The Home Of The Assigned Member – The Sheriff’s Officer Member Was Away At The Time – Totaled Patrol Car – 17 Year Old Arrested
A patrol car belonging to the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office (RCSO) was stolen and wrecked Sunday, according to authorities.
A press release from Asheboro Police reported that the patrol car was wrecked and abandoned on New Bern Avenue at the intersection of North Hampton.
An investigation revealed that the vehicle was stolen from an RCSO employee’s house by a family member while the employee was out of town. The suspect found the spare key to the patrol car hidden in the house and drove it without the employee’s knowledge, the report stated.
The employee identified the suspect as Jaylen Trevone Portis, 17, of 1113 Chapel Gate Lane, Asheboro.
Portis was charged with felony larceny of a motor vehicle, felony possession of a stolen motor vehicle, reckless driving to endanger, hit/run, failure to stop/property damage, no operator’s license and injury to personal property.
An accident report from the Asheboro Police Department stated that Portis was traveling at an excessive speed — up 100 mph. The vehicle appeared to have gone airborne across New Bern Avenue, landing on the shoulder and striking a tree. The driver was then seen running from the scene.
The car is a total loss, according to the sheriff’s office.
Portis was later located on Worth Street in Asheboro and arrested.
He was taken to the hospital by deputies, treated and medically released.
Portis is currently being held at the Chatham County Jail under an $8,000 secured bond.
He was scheduled to appear in Randolph County District Court on Monday.
- 04/9/19 Oakdale, MN – Man Assaults Girlfriend With Motor Vehicle – Steals Marked Patrol Car – 75 MPH – Dangerous – Taunting On The Police Radio – Pit Maneuver Stop – Suicide By Cop Gestures With Cell Phone – Captured
- 04/5/19 Nashville, TN – Female Burglary Suspect Steals Metro Police Cruiser – Chase – Spike Strips – Damage
- 04/3/19 Albany, GA – Cordele Police Unmarked Explorer Stolen From Albany – BOLO – Has Lights And Sirens – No Weapons
- 04/2/19 Utica, MI – High Speed Chase Through Multiple Cities – Two Suspects Bail Out Of Vehicle – Police Run After Them On Foot – Third Suspect Bails Out Of Vehicle And Steals Sterling Heights Police Cruiser – Crash – Three Arrests
- 03/29/19 Harden County, TN – Inmate On Way To Methadone Clinic Slipped Out Of Her Handcuffs – Grabbed The Patrol Car Keys – Stole The Patrol Car – The Officer Was Dragged And Injured – Inmate Later Captured
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/14/19 Louisville, KY – Three Juveniles Stole a Louisville Metro PD Unmarked Police Car – AR15 And Remington Shotgun Taken Out Of Stolen Vehicle – An Adult Also Arrested