02/4/19 Asheboro, NC – Randolph County Sheriff’s Officer Had A Family Member Steal A Patrol Car From The Home Of The Assigned Member – The Sheriff’s Officer Member Was Away At The Time – Totaled Patrol Car – 17 Year Old Arrested
A patrol car belonging to the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office (RCSO) was stolen and wrecked Sunday, according to authorities.
A press release from Asheboro Police reported that the patrol car was wrecked and abandoned on New Bern Avenue at the intersection of North Hampton.
An investigation revealed that the vehicle was stolen from an RCSO employee’s house by a family member while the employee was out of town. The suspect found the spare key to the patrol car hidden in the house and drove it without the employee’s knowledge, the report stated.
The employee identified the suspect as Jaylen Trevone Portis, 17, of 1113 Chapel Gate Lane, Asheboro.
Portis was charged with felony larceny of a motor vehicle, felony possession of a stolen motor vehicle, reckless driving to endanger, hit/run, failure to stop/property damage, no operator’s license and injury to personal property.
An accident report from the Asheboro Police Department stated that Portis was traveling at an excessive speed — up 100 mph. The vehicle appeared to have gone airborne across New Bern Avenue, landing on the shoulder and striking a tree. The driver was then seen running from the scene.
The car is a total loss, according to the sheriff’s office.
Portis was later located on Worth Street in Asheboro and arrested.
He was taken to the hospital by deputies, treated and medically released.
Portis is currently being held at the Chatham County Jail under an $8,000 secured bond.
He was scheduled to appear in Randolph County District Court on Monday.
- 06/17/19 Tyndall, SD – Two Vehicle Accident – Four Passengers Given Comfort Sitting In Patrol Car – The Four Stole The Tyndall Patrol Car – Long 40 Mile Pursuit – 100 MPH According To Bon Homme Sheriff’s Office – Patrol Car Ran Out Of Gas – One Woman Captured – Three Escaped
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured
- 05/30/19 Kosciusko County, IN – 16 Year Old Runaway That Removed Her Ankle Bracelet After Crashing A Hyundai – In Handcuffs – Steals Sheriff’s Patrol Vehicle – Crashes Into Building – Breaks Into House – Multiple Charges – Meth Arrest
- 05/28/19 Sour Lake, TX – Man In Convenience Store Severely Beat To Critical Condition A Sour Lake Police Officer – He Stole His Police Car And It Was Found Abandoned On The Highway – Massive Search And Captured
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car