02/28/19 Middletown, OH – Disturbance Call – Officer Ambushed With Knife – Steals Patrol Car – Deliberately Crashes Into Second Patrol Car – Officers Injured
An armed suspect stole a police cruiser and rammed it into a second cruiser, sending one officer to the hospital, police said Thursday.
The suspect, Jason Cooper, 49, also was hurt in the crash on Bavarian Drive near Central Avenue late Wednesday.
Both the officer and suspect are expected to recover.
Cooper faces 10 charges once he is released from the hospital and will be held without bond, police said.
They are: Felonious assault, aggravated vehicular assault, assault on a police officer, grand theft, DWI (driving while intoxicated), aggravated menacing, driving under a suspension, obstructing official business, possession of criminal tools and resisting arrest, according to the jail.
The incident began when Middletown police responded to a call of a disturbance involving an intoxicated subject later identified as Cooper, police said in a prepared statement.
Officer Patrick Glassburn arrived first at the scene and was flagged down by the complainant who told him Cooper was intoxicated and hiding in the bushes.
Cooper came out of the bushes and started approaching the officer with a knife in his hand, according to police.
Glassburn deployed his Taser and used the device on Cooper, but it did not have any affect.
“Jason Cooper was then able to get control of Officer Glassman’s police cruiser in an attempt to flee the area,” the police statement reads. “While in the police cruiser, Jason Cooper purposefully rammed another police cruiser driven by Officer Ryan Morgan, disabling both police cruisers. Officers continued to struggle with Jason Cooper after the crash. Jason Cooper continued to resist arrest and was finally placed in custody.”
Police said it took awhile to secure Cooper.
“He kept on reaching for his pocket trying to get some other knives out, so we did have to pull him through the windshield and get him secure,” Major David Birk said.
Officer Morgan was taken to Kettering Health Network Middletown hospital, treated and released.
Cooper was transported to Atrium Medical Center in Middletown, where he remains in police custody.
“The officers are fine, obviously a bit shaken up. We could of had a different outcome with this. We are very fortunate the officers showed great restraint. We have the suspect in custody, the complainant is fine. The officers will be fine and recover,” Birk said.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol assisted in the crash investigation.
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/13/19 Eugene, OR – Police Officer Stopped Two Suspicious Men – One Man Ran Away – Officer Foot Chase – Second Man Steals His Patrol Car – Second Officer Fires His Weapon At Man In Stolen Patrol Car – Patrol Car Found Abandoned
- 03/13/19 Heavener, OK – Man Escapes From Jail In Missouri – Kidnaps Woman In Oklahoma – Police Catch Man Sleeping In Kidnapped Victim’s Vehicle – Man Steals Patrol Car In Handcuffs – May Have Hit Moving Train And Crashed – Escaped – Manhunt
- 03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
- 03/7/19 Forest Park, OH – 20 Year Old Woman In Lobby Of Police Station – Steals Running Patrol Car – She Is Chased Into Kentucky And Indiana – Spike Strips – Ran Into Ditch
- 03/6/19 Buffalo, NY – Police SUV Stolen From Officer – Hit Another Vehicle – One Person Injured – Hit House
- 03/3/19 San Luis Obispo County, CA – CHP Assists Disabled Pick Up With Small Children Inside – Man Steals CHP Patrol Car – SLO Deputies Assisted – Chase – Flattened Tires – Further Investigation Reveals Woman Found Murdered – Under Investigation – SLO Deputies Disarmed – Bean Bag Took Him Down – Arrested