02/28/19 Middletown, OH – Disturbance Call – Officer Ambushed With Knife – Steals Patrol Car – Deliberately Crashes Into Second Patrol Car – Officers Injured
An armed suspect stole a police cruiser and rammed it into a second cruiser, sending one officer to the hospital, police said Thursday.
The suspect, Jason Cooper, 49, also was hurt in the crash on Bavarian Drive near Central Avenue late Wednesday.
Both the officer and suspect are expected to recover.
Cooper faces 10 charges once he is released from the hospital and will be held without bond, police said.
They are: Felonious assault, aggravated vehicular assault, assault on a police officer, grand theft, DWI (driving while intoxicated), aggravated menacing, driving under a suspension, obstructing official business, possession of criminal tools and resisting arrest, according to the jail.
The incident began when Middletown police responded to a call of a disturbance involving an intoxicated subject later identified as Cooper, police said in a prepared statement.
Officer Patrick Glassburn arrived first at the scene and was flagged down by the complainant who told him Cooper was intoxicated and hiding in the bushes.
Cooper came out of the bushes and started approaching the officer with a knife in his hand, according to police.
Glassburn deployed his Taser and used the device on Cooper, but it did not have any affect.
“Jason Cooper was then able to get control of Officer Glassman’s police cruiser in an attempt to flee the area,” the police statement reads. “While in the police cruiser, Jason Cooper purposefully rammed another police cruiser driven by Officer Ryan Morgan, disabling both police cruisers. Officers continued to struggle with Jason Cooper after the crash. Jason Cooper continued to resist arrest and was finally placed in custody.”
Police said it took awhile to secure Cooper.
“He kept on reaching for his pocket trying to get some other knives out, so we did have to pull him through the windshield and get him secure,” Major David Birk said.
Officer Morgan was taken to Kettering Health Network Middletown hospital, treated and released.
Cooper was transported to Atrium Medical Center in Middletown, where he remains in police custody.
“The officers are fine, obviously a bit shaken up. We could of had a different outcome with this. We are very fortunate the officers showed great restraint. We have the suspect in custody, the complainant is fine. The officers will be fine and recover,” Birk said.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol assisted in the crash investigation.
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested