02/26/19 Gainesville, GA – Patrol Car Locked Up On Police Call At Apartments Was Stolen – The Thief Broke The Passenger Window And Crashed The Gainesville Marked Patrol Car – Escaped
Gainesville Police are looking for the people responsible for breaking into, stealing and then crashing one of the department’s SUVs Sunday.
The theft of the Gainesville Police vehicle was reported around 5:30 a.m. Sunday on Paces Court of Paces Landing Apartments.
Police said the suspect or suspects forced their way into the car and left the scene in it.
“The vehicle sustained a minor crash a short distance from where it was taken. Within minutes, safety features equipped in the vehicle alerted officers to the location where it was recovered,” Cpl. Jessica Van wrote in an email.
Sgt. Kevin Holbrook said there was damage to the passenger window and door. The crash damage was minimal — the push bumper on the front of the vehicle “prevented further damage” to the SUV.
It’s not yet known what the officer was doing in the apartments on Sunday.
“As far as the specific reasoning for the vehicle being out there, I’m not certain. It was there on police-related functions,” Holbrook said.
The case is actively being investigated, and anyone with information is asked to contact GPD.
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested