01/19/19 Eureka, CA – Homeless Man Just Released From Jail Jumps Into Police Car To Steal It – Eureka Police Officer Pulls Him Out Of The Patrol Car – The Suspect Got The Shifter Into Neutral – While The Suspect Was Being Arrested The Patrol Car Rolled Over His Legs – Injured – To Hospital
One man, who tried to steal a Eureka Police vehicle, was injured as he was dragged from the vehicle on 4th Street near the intersection with D Street in Eureka at approximately 1:45 p.m., according to Eureka Police Chief Steve Watson.
Law enforcement handcuffed the injured man and he has now been put on a stretcher and taken to the hospital.
According to Watson, EPD officers were doing outreach with several homeless people on the street. He said, they were attempting to get one of the men into housing, when another man, the suspect seen handcuffed in the photos, attempted to get into and drive off with a police vehicle.
Officer Brian Ross pulled the suspect out of the vehicle which was beginning to move and the police vehicle ran over the leg of the suspect, Watson said.
He added, the quick thinking by Officer Ross was able to stop the suspect from fleeing with a fully equipped police vehicle.
The suspect was transported to hospital for evaluation to see how badly he was injured and also to evaluate his mental health, Watson said.
Watson also said that the same man was arrested earlier today for car theft and had been released already.
UPDATE 5:43 p.m.: Information from Chief Steve Watson’s Facebook page,
On 1/19/2019, at about 1:33 PM, two officers with the Eureka Police Department’s Community Safety Enhancement Team (CSET) were speaking with a group of homeless individuals near the intersection of 4th and D Street.
A male, Kyle Stevens (age 20), suddenly ran up to their marked black and white patrol vehicle, which was stopped in the street only a few feet away. Stevens opened the driver’s door, entered the vehicle, and attempted to put it in drive. Shifting only in neutral, Stevens was quickly pulled from the vehicle by one of the officers as he revved the engine. As the officers were securing Stevens on the ground, the vehicle, which was still in neutral, rolled over his legs. He sustained non-life threatening abrasions to his lower legs. Stevens was transported to the hospital for evaluation prior to booking at at the Humboldt County Correctional Facility for felony auto theft.
None of the officers were injured.
Of note, Stevens was released from the county jail just prior to this incident. He had been arrested and booked earlier that morning around 11:00 AM for stealing a Ford pickup truck.
- 04/9/19 Oakdale, MN – Man Assaults Girlfriend With Motor Vehicle – Steals Marked Patrol Car – 75 MPH – Dangerous – Taunting On The Police Radio – Pit Maneuver Stop – Suicide By Cop Gestures With Cell Phone – Captured
- 04/5/19 Nashville, TN – Female Burglary Suspect Steals Metro Police Cruiser – Chase – Spike Strips – Damage
- 04/3/19 Albany, GA – Cordele Police Unmarked Explorer Stolen From Albany – BOLO – Has Lights And Sirens – No Weapons
- 04/2/19 Utica, MI – High Speed Chase Through Multiple Cities – Two Suspects Bail Out Of Vehicle – Police Run After Them On Foot – Third Suspect Bails Out Of Vehicle And Steals Sterling Heights Police Cruiser – Crash – Three Arrests
- 03/29/19 Harden County, TN – Inmate On Way To Methadone Clinic Slipped Out Of Her Handcuffs – Grabbed The Patrol Car Keys – Stole The Patrol Car – The Officer Was Dragged And Injured – Inmate Later Captured
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/14/19 Louisville, KY – Three Juveniles Stole a Louisville Metro PD Unmarked Police Car – AR15 And Remington Shotgun Taken Out Of Stolen Vehicle – An Adult Also Arrested