1/06/19 Carrol County, SC Two inmates escape a work detail in a government stolen car found in Patrick County SC. Inmates on the run escaped.
One of two prisoners who authorities say drove away from a Giles County work detail Saturday was captured Monday in Carroll County.
“One’s in custody, the other one’s still out and we’re still checking places,” Sheriff John Gardner of Carroll County said.
John Kenneth Haynes, 45, of Cana was arrested just after 2 p.m. in a secluded section of the county, Gardner said. Haynes was in an old camper atop a ridge, “just a place to hide, is what it looked like,” Gardner said.
With officers surrounding the camper, Haynes came out and surrendered, Gardner said.
“He’d had enough, I think,” Gardner said.
Still at large Monday evening was Ronald Eugene Dalton II, 36, of Dugspur.
Haynes and Dalton are accused of escaping from a work detail made up of inmates from New River Valley Regional Jail. The inmates were working in Pearisburg, near the Giles County garage, Giles Sheriff Morgan Millirons said Monday.
About 9 a.m. Saturday, Millirons said, Haynes and Dalton left in a 2006 Ford Taurus — a surplus county vehicle that had been parked with the keys in it, Millirons said.
Soon afterward, the prisoners drove up to the Stop-In gas station in Rich Creek, clerk Bridgett Dunford recalled Monday. The two men did not come into the store but asked a woman outside for money, Dunford said.
Dunford said she thought that the woman gave them some change.
Authorities have reviewed videos from the store’s security cameras as part of the search for the fugitives, Dunford said.
With officers from an array of agencies, including the U.S. Marshals Service, joining the hunt, the Giles County car was found abandoned Sunday in Patrick County, close to the Carroll-Patrick county line, Gardner reported.
Carroll Circuit Court records said that Haynes was found guilty in 2014 of felony child abuse and that in July, his probation was revoked.
Dalton was convicted in November of larceny, trespassing, possession of a controlled substance and two counts of manufacturing or selling a controlled substance, court records said.
Giles County authorities said Haynes and Dalton face grand larceny and escape charges for leaving the work detail.
Millirons said Monday that Haynes and Dalton’s drive-off was the first escape from a Giles work detail of which he is aware.
It came about a week after Cody Ryan Drain, 26, of Barren Springs escaped from custody in Montgomery County by allegedly stealing a sheriff’s deputy’s car outside the county magistrate’s office in Christiansburg. Drain was recaptured three days later in Barren Springs, a community in Wythe County.
- 01/19/19 Eureka, CA – Homeless Man Just Released From Jail Jumps Into Police Car To Steal It – Eureka Police Officer Pulls Him Out Of The Patrol Car – The Suspect Got The Shifter Into Neutral – While The Suspect Was Being Arrested The Patrol Car Rolled Over His Legs – Injured – To Hospital
- 01/19/19 Canton, OH – Man On Parole Steals On-Duty Marked Patrol Car By Smashing Window When Stopped – Identified Himself As A Police Officer – Had The Police Officer’s Identification – Struggle – Arrested
- 01/16/19 Atlanta, GA – Man Tries To Steal Atlanta Police Unmarked Police Car At Gas Station While Officer Was Filling Up – Mayor Protection Unit – Officer SHOOTS AND KILLS HIM
- 01/14/19 Elkton, MD – Crash Scene – Drunk Driver In Handcuffs Steals Police Car And Hits Fire Truck – Police Chase Into Delaware – Crashed Into Tree – Arrested Again
- 01/08/19 Spencer, OK Handcuffed man steals spencer Police Cruiser and drives away – Escaped
- 01/6/19 Morrow County, OH – Crashed Stolen Pick Up – Distressed Woman In Underwear Runs Away And Back – Steals Morrow Deputy’s Patrol Car – Chase – Crash Into Tree – Apprehended
- 01/06/19 Carrol County, SC Two inmates escape a work detail in a government stolen car found in Patrick County SC. Inmates on the run escaped.
- 01/3/19 Conroe, TX – Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Is Searching For A Stolen Prairie View Unmarked Tahoe Police Vehicle
- 01/2/19 Orangeburg, SC – St. Matthews Man In Orangeburg Stopped Driving Stolen Columbia Airport Metro Police Department Vehicle – When Deputies Searched The Vehicle They Found White Powder – 9 mm Firearm – Digital Scales
- 1/1/19 Grand Rapids, MI – Early New Years Day – Call For A Fight With A Person With A Gun – A Woman Ran From The House And Stole A Grand Rapids Patrol Car – Drove Over Sidewalks – Ran Away – K9 Got Her