1/06/19 Carrol County, SC Two inmates escape a work detail in a government stolen car found in Patrick County SC. Inmates on the run escaped.
By Tonia Moxley The Roanoke Times Jan 7, 2019
One of two prisoners who authorities say drove away from a Giles County work detail Saturday was captured Monday in Carroll County.
“One’s in custody, the other one’s still out and we’re still checking places,” Sheriff John Gardner of Carroll County said.
John Kenneth Haynes, 45, of Cana was arrested just after 2 p.m. in a secluded section of the county, Gardner said. Haynes was in an old camper atop a ridge, “just a place to hide, is what it looked like,” Gardner said.
With officers surrounding the camper, Haynes came out and surrendered, Gardner said.
“He’d had enough, I think,” Gardner said.
Still at large Monday evening was Ronald Eugene Dalton II, 36, of Dugspur.
Haynes and Dalton are accused of escaping from a work detail made up of inmates from New River Valley Regional Jail. The inmates were working in Pearisburg, near the Giles County garage, Giles Sheriff Morgan Millirons said Monday.
About 9 a.m. Saturday, Millirons said, Haynes and Dalton left in a 2006 Ford Taurus — a surplus county vehicle that had been parked with the keys in it, Millirons said.
Soon afterward, the prisoners drove up to the Stop-In gas station in Rich Creek, clerk Bridgett Dunford recalled Monday. The two men did not come into the store but asked a woman outside for money, Dunford said.
Dunford said she thought that the woman gave them some change.
Authorities have reviewed videos from the store’s security cameras as part of the search for the fugitives, Dunford said.
With officers from an array of agencies, including the U.S. Marshals Service, joining the hunt, the Giles County car was found abandoned Sunday in Patrick County, close to the Carroll-Patrick county line, Gardner reported.
Carroll Circuit Court records said that Haynes was found guilty in 2014 of felony child abuse and that in July, his probation was revoked.
Dalton was convicted in November of larceny, trespassing, possession of a controlled substance and two counts of manufacturing or selling a controlled substance, court records said.
Giles County authorities said Haynes and Dalton face grand larceny and escape charges for leaving the work detail.
Millirons said Monday that Haynes and Dalton’s drive-off was the first escape from a Giles work detail of which he is aware.
It came about a week after Cody Ryan Drain, 26, of Barren Springs escaped from custody in Montgomery County by allegedly stealing a sheriff’s deputy’s car outside the county magistrate’s office in Christiansburg. Drain was recaptured three days later in Barren Springs, a community in Wythe County.
- 03/20/19 Waco, TX – Man Steals Waco Commander’s Police Dodge Charger – 20 Miles High Speed Chase With Lights And Sirens – Crash – Man Gets Out Yielding An Ax In Bullet Proof Vest And Mask – Steals Civilian SUV – Chase – Crash
- 03/19/19 New Windsor, NY – Disturbance Call – Woman Steals Town Patrol Car From Econolodge – Chased Through Three Towns – Arrested For Felonies
- 03/19/19 Logan, WV – Truck Stop – Shoplifting – Steals Logan Police Car – Police Cruiser Ran Out Of Gas – West Virginia State Police Captured
- 03/17/19 Salem, OR – Man With Stolen Car Ran And Circled Back – Steals Salem Patrol Car – Man Barricaded Himself – SWAT Team Got Him
- 03/13/19 Eugene, OR – Police Officer Stopped Two Suspicious Men – One Man Ran Away – Officer Foot Chase – Second Man Steals His Patrol Car – Second Officer Fires His Weapon At Man In Stolen Patrol Car – Patrol Car Found Abandoned
- 03/13/19 Heavener, OK – Man Escapes From Jail In Missouri – Kidnaps Woman In Oklahoma – Police Catch Man Sleeping In Kidnapped Victim’s Vehicle – Man Steals Patrol Car In Handcuffs – May Have Hit Moving Train And Crashed – Escaped – Manhunt
- 03/12/19 Leonardtown, MD – St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Chased Suspect After Traffic Damage – Crashes Through Closed Gate – Foot Chase – Circled Back – Charged For Attempted Unlawful Police Car Taking – Arrested
- 03/7/19 Forest Park, OH – 20 Year Old Woman In Lobby Of Police Station – Steals Running Patrol Car – She Is Chased Into Kentucky And Indiana – Spike Strips – Ran Into Ditch
- 03/6/19 Buffalo, NY – Police SUV Stolen From Officer – Hit Another Vehicle – One Person Injured – Hit House
- 03/3/19 San Luis Obispo County, CA – CHP Assists Disabled Pick Up With Small Children Inside – Man Steals CHP Patrol Car – SLO Deputies Assisted – Chase – Flattened Tires – Further Investigation Reveals Woman Found Murdered – Under Investigation – SLO Deputies Disarmed – Bean Bag Took Him Down – Arrested