1/06/19 Carrol County, SC Two inmates escape a work detail in a government stolen car found in Patrick County SC. Inmates on the run escaped.
By Tonia Moxley The Roanoke Times Jan 7, 2019
One of two prisoners who authorities say drove away from a Giles County work detail Saturday was captured Monday in Carroll County.
“One’s in custody, the other one’s still out and we’re still checking places,” Sheriff John Gardner of Carroll County said.
John Kenneth Haynes, 45, of Cana was arrested just after 2 p.m. in a secluded section of the county, Gardner said. Haynes was in an old camper atop a ridge, “just a place to hide, is what it looked like,” Gardner said.
With officers surrounding the camper, Haynes came out and surrendered, Gardner said.
“He’d had enough, I think,” Gardner said.
Still at large Monday evening was Ronald Eugene Dalton II, 36, of Dugspur.
Haynes and Dalton are accused of escaping from a work detail made up of inmates from New River Valley Regional Jail. The inmates were working in Pearisburg, near the Giles County garage, Giles Sheriff Morgan Millirons said Monday.
About 9 a.m. Saturday, Millirons said, Haynes and Dalton left in a 2006 Ford Taurus — a surplus county vehicle that had been parked with the keys in it, Millirons said.
Soon afterward, the prisoners drove up to the Stop-In gas station in Rich Creek, clerk Bridgett Dunford recalled Monday. The two men did not come into the store but asked a woman outside for money, Dunford said.
Dunford said she thought that the woman gave them some change.
Authorities have reviewed videos from the store’s security cameras as part of the search for the fugitives, Dunford said.
With officers from an array of agencies, including the U.S. Marshals Service, joining the hunt, the Giles County car was found abandoned Sunday in Patrick County, close to the Carroll-Patrick county line, Gardner reported.
Carroll Circuit Court records said that Haynes was found guilty in 2014 of felony child abuse and that in July, his probation was revoked.
Dalton was convicted in November of larceny, trespassing, possession of a controlled substance and two counts of manufacturing or selling a controlled substance, court records said.
Giles County authorities said Haynes and Dalton face grand larceny and escape charges for leaving the work detail.
Millirons said Monday that Haynes and Dalton’s drive-off was the first escape from a Giles work detail of which he is aware.
It came about a week after Cody Ryan Drain, 26, of Barren Springs escaped from custody in Montgomery County by allegedly stealing a sheriff’s deputy’s car outside the county magistrate’s office in Christiansburg. Drain was recaptured three days later in Barren Springs, a community in Wythe County.
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car
- 05/6/19 Grand Forks, ND – Man With Warrant Tries To Steal Officer’s Gun – Steals His Police Car – High Speed – Wrong Way On Highway – Crashes Into Semi – Killed On Impact
- 04/29/19 Pueblo, CO – Wrong Way Driver Stopped – Suspect Steals Colorado State Patrol Dodge Charger – State Trooper Dragged – Hurt – 100 MPH Chase For 36 Miles – Avoiding Spike Strips – Rollover – Totaled
- 04/27/19 Bedford County, TN- Inmate Escaped Custody-Suspect Steals Sumner County Deputies Car While He Was Outside the Patrol Car-Stolen Police Car Found in Nashville- Inmate Escaped
- 04/26/19 San Bernardino, CA – While Deputy Was Taking A Report – A Man Steals San Bernardino Marked Sheriff’s Car – Massive Search – Found 1 Hour Later – Struggle With Suspect – Arrested