1/06/19 Carrol County, SC Two inmates escape a work detail in a government stolen car found in Patrick County SC. Inmates on the run escaped.
By Tonia Moxley The Roanoke Times Jan 7, 2019
One of two prisoners who authorities say drove away from a Giles County work detail Saturday was captured Monday in Carroll County.
“One’s in custody, the other one’s still out and we’re still checking places,” Sheriff John Gardner of Carroll County said.
John Kenneth Haynes, 45, of Cana was arrested just after 2 p.m. in a secluded section of the county, Gardner said. Haynes was in an old camper atop a ridge, “just a place to hide, is what it looked like,” Gardner said.
With officers surrounding the camper, Haynes came out and surrendered, Gardner said.
“He’d had enough, I think,” Gardner said.
Still at large Monday evening was Ronald Eugene Dalton II, 36, of Dugspur.
Haynes and Dalton are accused of escaping from a work detail made up of inmates from New River Valley Regional Jail. The inmates were working in Pearisburg, near the Giles County garage, Giles Sheriff Morgan Millirons said Monday.
About 9 a.m. Saturday, Millirons said, Haynes and Dalton left in a 2006 Ford Taurus — a surplus county vehicle that had been parked with the keys in it, Millirons said.
Soon afterward, the prisoners drove up to the Stop-In gas station in Rich Creek, clerk Bridgett Dunford recalled Monday. The two men did not come into the store but asked a woman outside for money, Dunford said.
Dunford said she thought that the woman gave them some change.
Authorities have reviewed videos from the store’s security cameras as part of the search for the fugitives, Dunford said.
With officers from an array of agencies, including the U.S. Marshals Service, joining the hunt, the Giles County car was found abandoned Sunday in Patrick County, close to the Carroll-Patrick county line, Gardner reported.
Carroll Circuit Court records said that Haynes was found guilty in 2014 of felony child abuse and that in July, his probation was revoked.
Dalton was convicted in November of larceny, trespassing, possession of a controlled substance and two counts of manufacturing or selling a controlled substance, court records said.
Giles County authorities said Haynes and Dalton face grand larceny and escape charges for leaving the work detail.
Millirons said Monday that Haynes and Dalton’s drive-off was the first escape from a Giles work detail of which he is aware.
It came about a week after Cody Ryan Drain, 26, of Barren Springs escaped from custody in Montgomery County by allegedly stealing a sheriff’s deputy’s car outside the county magistrate’s office in Christiansburg. Drain was recaptured three days later in Barren Springs, a community in Wythe County.
- 08/15/19 St. John’s County, FL – Wanted Felon In Accident – Combative – Steals Off Duty Lt. Unmarked – High Speed Chase – Pit Maneuver – Multiple Police Vehicles Crashed
- 08/15/19 Durham, CAN – 40 Year Old Man Chase In A Van – Foot Chase – Pushes Officer Into A Ditch And Tries To Steal His Marked Patrol Car – Captured
- 08/14/19 Milford, DE – 3 Juveniles Arrested After Stealing 5 Dodge Charger Police Cars – 2 Durangos And A Dodge Ram – State Police Pursuit Of Police Charger That Crashed Into A Tree – All 3 Arrested
- 08/13/19 Montebello, CA – Patrol Car Stolen From Police Station Found 1 Month Later – Totaled Over Embankment – Stolen Weapons – Police Equipment – 3 Arrested Had Weapons And Equipment
- 08/12/19 Coral Gables, FL – Police Cruiser Stolen From Officer’s Home – Rear Window Smashed – Abandoned
- 08/9/19 Charleston, WV – Man Harassing People In Emergency Room – Handcuffed And Placed Into Police Cruiser – Jumps Into Driver’s Seat And Tries To Steal It – Fights With Officers – Officers Saved The Vehicle
- 08/6/19 Montgomery County, OH – Passed Out Man In Pick Up Call – Man Steals Deputy’s Marked Patrol Car – 100 MPH Chase – Crashed Into Vehicles – Spike Strips – Captured
- 08/5/19 California – Marked CHP SUV Stolen After Foot Chase – Excess Of 100 MPH Chase – 3 County Pursuit – Four Car Crash – Hijacked Civilian Vehicles – Captured
- 08/2/19 Kent, WA – Woman Steals Kent Marked Tahoe – Half Hour Chase – Multiple Accidents – Many Patrol Cars Damaged
- 08/1/19 Santa Rosa, CA – Man Tried To Stab A Rosa Plaza Security Officer – Before Jumping Into A Sonoma County Sheriff’s Marked Unit – Deputy Shoots Suspect 3 Times Trying To Steal It