01/01/19 Albuquerque, NM – A Running Dodge Charger Marked Patrol Car Was Stolen From The Prisoner Transport Center At The Jail – Patrol Car Found Abandoned Hours Later At The Foot Hills – Man Escaped
Even police cruisers aren’t safe.
Albuquerque police are looking for a man who stole a patrol car Downtown a few hours into the new year.
Crime Stoppers distributed a flier with security camera photos on Tuesday asking for help identifying the suspect.
“On Tuesday, January 1, 2019, at approximately 3 a.m. an Albuquerque Police patrol car was taken from the prisoner transport center at Fourth Street and Roma Avenue,” the flier reads. “A male was seen on surveillance video breaking into the unit and taking it.”
The photos distributed by Crime Stoppers – which show the Dodge Charger parked curbside with its lights on – suggest the car was running.
Gallegos said this is common, especially in cold weather, so the heater and the computer can stay on.
“For example, officers may have to leave a location in a hurry to respond to a crime, and they don’t have the option of waiting for windows to defrost,” he wrote in an email.
He said the cars do have “mechanisms to keep them secure and not accessible by anyone but the officer to drive them.”
APD is now conducting an internal investigation to see whether the officer followed policies or if the mechanism failed in this case. Gallegos did not identify the officer.
- 06/17/19 Tyndall, SD – Two Vehicle Accident – Four Passengers Given Comfort Sitting In Patrol Car – The Four Stole The Tyndall Patrol Car – Long 40 Mile Pursuit – 100 MPH According To Bon Homme Sheriff’s Office – Patrol Car Ran Out Of Gas – One Woman Captured – Three Escaped
- 06/8/19 Palisade, CO – Woman And Man Crash Vehicle – Woman Steals Colorado State Patrol Car – Hits Motorcycle And Several Others – Crashes – Captured
- 05/30/19 Kosciusko County, IN – 16 Year Old Runaway That Removed Her Ankle Bracelet After Crashing A Hyundai – In Handcuffs – Steals Sheriff’s Patrol Vehicle – Crashes Into Building – Breaks Into House – Multiple Charges – Meth Arrest
- 05/28/19 Sour Lake, TX – Man In Convenience Store Severely Beat To Critical Condition A Sour Lake Police Officer – He Stole His Police Car And It Was Found Abandoned On The Highway – Massive Search And Captured
- 05/24/19 St. Augustine, FL – Rt. 95 Disabled Motorist – Woman Jumps Into Driver’s Seat Of St. John’s County Service Patrol Car – She Held The Steering Wheel As She Was Hauled Out Of The Driver’s Seat – Arrested
- 05/23/19 Montebello, CA- Masked Man On Camera Steals Marked Montebello Police SUV From Police Parking Lot – Unit #9 Has Been Missing For Several Days Before Searching For It – Firearms Are In This Patrol Car – Not Found Yet
- 05/22/19 Memphis, TN – Man Steals Southaven, MS Marked Police SUV – Crosses State Lines – Crashes In Memphis – Air Unit And K9 Caught Him
- 05/20/19 Ellicott City, MD – Howard County Police Responded And Arrested A Shoplifter – Handcuffed In Police SUV – Suspect Stole The Marked Police SUV – Pursuit And Captured
- 05/18/19 Brentwood, TN – Hit And Run Accident Suspect Captured – In Handcuffs Steals Brentwood Patrol Car – Chased Down Highway – Jumps Out And Runs – Captured
- 05/9/19 Brevard County, FL – An Orange County Marked Patrol Car SUV Chased A Black Cadillac That Crashed Into A Cocoa Home Causing Extensive Damage – Officers At Crash Scene Saw The Stolen Orange County SUV With Lights On Attempting To Pull Over Other Civilians – Later Found Abandoned Patrol Car